William Smith, a native of Hartford, Conn., immigrated to Williston, Vt., at an early date, where he married Anna Blanchard, and a few years later, about 1806, came to this town and located upon the farm now occupied by his grandsons, where he resided until his death, at the age of fifty-nine years. He had a family of six children, three of whom, Charity, widow of Roswell Town, Lemuel B., and Abel P., now reside here.
Collection: Gazetteer of Lamoille County Vermont for 1883-84
This collection stems from a manuscript published by Hamilton Child in 1887 which provided a gazetteer for Lamoille and Orleans County. Within that manuscript was a brief history of each community, a directory of each community, and short biographical sketches of some of the leading citizens for each town.
Richard R. Waite, a native of Windsor, Vt., came to Stowe August 15, 1842, and located upon the farm now owned by Luke Town. April 12, 1862, he removed ‘to the farm he now occupies, on road 40. Mr. Waite held the office of constable and deputy sheriff in 1857-’58 , was selectman in 1871 , chairman of the board of selectmen in 1879, ’80, and ’81 , and represented the town in 1878-’79. He has also been president of the Lamoille Valley Fair Ground Company six years, taught school ten winters, and led the choirs in the Methodist and
Merrill Andrus, from Orange county, Vt., came to Wolcott in 1839, and located on road 13, where his son, T. O. Andrus, now resides. He married Maria Lawrence, by whom he had eight children, three of whom, T. O. Andrus, Mrs. R. F. Parker, and Mrs. Eli Drury, are living. Mr. Andrus died in August, 1881, aged seventy-four years.
Alva Judson, father of O. L. Judson of this town, was born and lived all his life, in Huntington, Vt., dying there at the age of sixty-five years. He married Phoebe Williams, who died in Hyde Park, aged seventy years. Three of their four children are now living, one, O. L., being a resident of this town.
Levi Hodge, a native of Warwick, Mass., came to Stowe and located where his son, Russell C., now resides, and where he died in 1862, aged about seventy-five years. Russell C. is superintendent of the town poor farm, which is owned in union by the towns of Stowe, Morristown, and Johnson.
Thomas Davis, a Connecticut sea captain, came to Wolcott at an early date, and purchased fifty-five acres of land on road 24, which is now owned by his grandson, Pardon Davis. A year or two after his settlement Mr. Davis erected a house of planks, the outside being lathed and plastered, the walls being decorated with pebble stones, arranged in fantastical figures in the plaster before it hardened. This house is still remembered by some of the inhabitants, because of its oddity. Mr. Davis also planted an orchard when he first came here, bringing the trees from Connecticut, some of
Perley Hutchins, Sr., a native of Massachusetts, came to Wolcott about the year 1813, where he resided until his death. His son, Perley, Jr., served in the war of 1812, and in 1815, married Polly Whitney, daughter of Hezekiah Whitney, one of the early settlers. Mrs. Whitney still resides here with her son, in the old tavern where her husband kept a hotel for more than twenty years. She is eighty-four years of age.
Barnabas Peck came to Wolcott in 1811, and located upon the farm now owned by C. C. Twiss. The first saw and grist-mill built in the town then stood on this farm. Mr. Peck reared a family of eleven children, and died in 1832, aged seventy-three years. Jera Peck now occupies the old homestead, aged seventy-one years. The Peck family trace their pedigree back through six generations to Joseph Peck, who came to America in 1638, and whose descendants in the United States are now estimated to number about 11,000.
Moody Parker, a native of Lyman, N. H., born in 1785, came to Wolcott in 1821, where he resided until his death, in 1869, aged eighty-four years. Mr. Parker was at the battle of Plattsburgh, and held the office of sergeant. After the war he returned to Lyman and married Millicent Moulton, who is still living. This union was blessed with seven children, five of whom are living. S. R. Parker, who now resides on road 12, was three years of age when his father came to the town.