W. S. Chapman, of the firm of W. S. Chapman & Co, merchants, was born in Jefferson County, Iowa, October 17, 1847; enlisted in Company F, Sixteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and remained until the close of the war. He came to Belleville, Republic County, Kan., in 1872, and engaged in merchandising; and in 1874 started a branch store in Mankato, Jewell County. Mr. Chapman came to Mankato and erected a business building 23×60 feet, with a wareroom 16×60 foot, and now carries a stock of from $10,000 to $12,000. The firm own 960 acres of land in Jewell County, 500 of which adjoin the town of Mankato; also owns a building and lots in Oberlin, Kan. He is a married man and father of two children – Walter and Clarence.