The Lincoln family of New England and of the country at large is one of long and honorable standing. The Massachusetts Lincolns are found to spring from one source – from the ancient Hingham families of 1636 and 1638, which across the water were of the County of Norfolk, England. There were at Hingham several separate and distinct families of Lincoln, from one of which, that of Thomas Lincoln the “miller,” has descended the Taunton family of the name and from the latter has come the Fall River branch of the family. On the site of the village of Westville in Taunton lived that patriot of the Revolution, Caleb Lincoln, the farmer and miller who occupied lands which had been in the family name since not far from 1658 and on which his forefathers for generations before him had lived.
From its earliest history Taunton has been an important manufacturing center, from the building of the first dam on Mill river, near what became Cohasset street, and the first mill. Thomas Lincoln from Hingham became the owner of this mill in 1649, and soon after removed his family hither. As stated elsewhere he came from old England to New England in 1635, locating at Hingham. He continued proprietor of the mill about thirty-three years, when at his death his sons John and Samuel Lincoln came into possession of it. Caleb Lincoln, the farmer and miller of Westville village, was of the sixth generation in descent from Thomas Lincoln the “miller,” and it has been through his family and his descendants that the manufacturing proclivities of the earlier, family have been kept alive, and, too, in a conspicuous manner, as several of his sons and grandsons have long together and in turn been largely and successfully identified with some of the extensive manufacturing enterprises of that city of great industries – Fall River – and as well been among the substantial men and prominent citizens of that place; notably the late Jonathan Thayer Lincoln, long recognized as a man of superior business ability – to whose mechanical ingenuity and business sagacity was largely due the successful building up of the firm of Kilburn, Lincoln & Co., of which he was long a member, and of which concern later, on its incorporation, he became the executive head; and the latter’s sons Henry C. Edward and Leontine Lincoln, all of whom were reared and trained under the direction of the father in the concern, Henry C. Lincoln succeeding his father on the latter’s death to the presidency of it; while Leontine Lincoln has been for nearly forty years treasurer, and has been long identified with other extensive enterprises of Fall River.
Family of Thomas Lincoln, the “Miller”
Thomas Lincoln, the “miller,” was the father of five children, namely:
Family of Thomas Lincoln, Jr.
Thomas Lincoln, Jr., son of Thomas the “miller,” was baptized in February, 1637-38. He married Mary Austin, daughter of Jonah and Constance Austin. His will was dated May 4, 1694 (Bristol deeds, Vol. II, p. 612). To Thomas and Mary Lincoln were born children as follows:
- Mary, born May 12, 1652
- Thomas, born April 21, 1656
- Samuel, born May 16, 1658
- Jonah and Sarah, twins, born July 7, 1660
- Hannah, born March 15, 1663
- Constant, born May 16, 1665 (who married William Briggs, Jr.)
- Mercy, born April 3, 1670
Family of Thomas Lincoln, 3rd
Thomas Lincoln, son of Thomas and Mary (Austin), was born April 21, 1656, and died in 1720. He married Mary Stacy for his first wife, and Susan, daughter of Francis Smith, for his second. His children were:
- Nathaniel, who married Alice Andrews
- Thomas, born in 1680
- Jonathan, who died Jan. 15, 1773
- William, who married Rebecca Walker Oct. 10, 1739
- Silas, who married Mercy Walker
- Constant, born in 1696, who died Nov. 24, 1777
Family of William Lincoln
William Lincoln, son of Thomas, was married Oct. 10, 1739, to Rebecca Walker, and their children were
Family of William Lincoln, Jr.
William Lincoln, son of William and Rebecca, married Hannah Wade, and they became the parents of the following children:
- Caleb, born June 5, 1759
- Trepha, who married Benjamin Lincoln
- Sarah (Sally), who married Washington Lincoln, and removed to Vermont
- Lurana, who married a Mr. Boole
Family of Caleb Lincoln
Caleb Lincoln, son of William and Hannah, born June 5, 1759, died in 1822. He married Mercy Thayer, who was born June 18, 1766, and died July 9, 1839. Their children were:
- Nellie, born in 1788, died in 1865
- Nancy, born in 1789, died in 1874
- William, born in 1790, died in 1822
- Betsey, born in 1792, died in 1882
- Hannah, born in 1793, died in 1874
- Leontine, born in 1796, died in 1820
- Maria, born in 1798, died in 1822
- Narcissa, born in 1800, died in 1827
- Caleb Martin, born Feb. 4, 1802, died Nov. 24, 1855
- Lorenzo, born Sept. 20, 1803, died Jan. 2, 1899
- Jonathan Thayer, born Oct. 17, 1805, died July 23, 1881
- Mercy Emeline, born in 1810, died April 17, 1888
Family of Jonathan Thayer Lincoln
Jonathan Thayer Lincoln, son of Caleb and Mercy, was born Oct. 17, 1805, in Taunton, Mass. He attended school at the old school-house in Westville, and furthered his studies at the private school of Rev. Alvin Cobb, one of note in those days. At the age of sixteen he found employment in the “Shovel-cake” cotton spinning factory at Westville, but his tastes were in another direction and after two years’ work in the factory he began an apprenticeship with David Berry, who owned a machine shop on the White Birch stream in Dighton. Here he had abundant opportunity to gratify his passion for machinery and learned the trade which had been his choice from boyhood. Having completed his time and reached his majority he was given the usual “freedom” payment of an apprentice for his three years’ service at the trade – fifty dollars in money and a new suit of clothes. He soon made his way to Pawtucket, where he found employment in the machine shop of David Wilkinson, with whom he remained about three years, having as fellow workmen David Fales and Alvin Jencks, afterward founders of the firm of Fales & Jencks, and Clarke Tompkins, afterward the successful machine-maker of Troy, N. Y. After leaving Pawtucket he returned to Taunton and remained a year, during which time he was engaged to change a single color printing machine into a multiple color machine, one of the first probably ever made in this country. In 1829 he came to Fall River, and in 1831 was employed as master mechanic by the Massasoit Mill Company, which then leased the mill property on Pocasset street owned by the Watuppa Manufacturing Company. In 1845-46 the Massasoit Company moved its machinery to its new mill on Davol street. The Watuppa Company decided to fill its mill with improved machinery, and engaged Mr. Lincoln to build a part of the looms, which he did in the machine shop of the mill. The job of looms was divided into three parts. Mr. Lincoln had at first a third and Mr. John Kilburn a third, with the understanding with the company that the one who completed his part first should have the remaining part to make. Mr. Lincoln was the successful competitor and so made two thirds of the looms. The style of loom then made was widely known as the “Fall River loom.” In 1844 John Kilburn, a native of New Hampshire, began in Fall River the manufacture of cotton looms and the Fourneyron turbine, the latter a French invention which was being introduced into the New England mills as a water motor. He had been in business but a short time when his health failed, and he died in 1846. After his death a copartnership was formed comprising his widow, his brother Elijah C, and Mr. Lincoln, which succeeded to the business he had been engaged in establishing. The firm, which was called E. C. Kilburn & Co., manufactured turbines, shafting and various kinds of machinery for print works and iron mills. Mr. Kilburn had charge of the office work and Mr. Lincoln of the mechanical. Both were industrious, hardworking men, and they built up a flourishing business. The firm continued until 1856, when a new firm, Kilburn, Lincoln & Son, was formed, consisting of Mr. Kilburn, Mr. Lincoln and the latter’s eldest son, Henry C. Lincoln. The younger Mr. Lincoln brought into the business a practical knowledge of mechanics and a thorough business training, having been associated with his father in business in various capacities from early manhood. The firm made a specialty of the “Fourneyron turbine.” This as improved by them had a large sale, displacing the lumbering breast wheels, and utilizing a percentage of power which the best of the latter never rivaled. In 1859 Mr. Lincoln made an extensive business tour through the Southern States, his firm having built up a considerable business with the manufacturers of that section of the country. In 1867 it was found necessary to build a larger machine shop and it was decided to add an iron foundry to the works. To insure the success of the new feature Charles P. Dring, who had been associated with the Fall River Iron Works Company for many years, became associated with them. The name was changed to Kilburn, Lincoln & Co., which became an incorporated company in 1868 under the Massachusetts General Incorporation Act. Mr. J. T. Lincoln’s son-in-law, Andrew Luscomb, who had been engaged with them in the manufacturing of gun parts for the United States government, was admitted. The new works were completed on a tract of three hundred rods of land in an eligible location near railroads and tidewater, and comprised a machine shop, iron and brass foundries, pattern house, paint shop, warehouse, and setting-up shop. Mr. Lincoln was elected president of the corporation and held the position until his death, when he was succeeded by his eldest son, Henry C. Lincoln. Mr. Kilburn was elected treasurer, and continued as such until 1872, when he was succeeded by Leontine Lincoln, who still serves. At about this time Mr. Kilburn withdrew his interest and was elected treasurer of the King Philip Mills. In the same year additions were made to the works with a view to the manufacture of looms on a large scale, and since then the company has been among the largest manufacturers of looms for cotton and silk weaving. The capacity is 5,000 looms per annum, besides other kinds of machinery, as shafting, pulleys and power transmission machinery, of which this concern has made a specialty. Since Mr. Lincoln’s death in 1881 his interest has been held by his family.
In 1855 Mr. Lincoln became associated with his brother Lorenzo and his nephew James M. and his son Edward Lincoln in a paper manufacturing enterprise in North Dighton. The firm was called L. Lincoln & Co., and succeeded to the business which was established in 1850 by Mr. Lincoln’s two brothers, Caleb M. and Lorenzo. He retired from the firm before his death.
Mr. Lincoln had great faith in the success of Fall River as a center for the cotton manufacturing industry, was one of the original stockholders of the Union Mill Company, an owner in several other corporations, and a director of the Tecumseh Mills from the time of the organization of the corporation. Although he took a deep interest in public affairs, Mr. Lincoln was averse to holding public office, and held but one, that of member of the common council of the city. He was one of the oldest members of Mount Hope Lodge of Masons, of which lodge he was treasurer for many years. In politics he was a Freesoiler and Whig until the formation of the Republican party, when he became an earnest adherent to the principles of that party. He was a man of sunny temperament, earnest of purpose, charitable in judgment, and distinguished in acts of practical benevolence. As stated, Mr. Lincoln died at his home in Fall River July 23, 1881. The Fall River Daily News closed an editorial notice of his death as follows:
“Mr. Lincoln was held in great esteem and respect by his fellow citizens generally. He had the reputation of being an ingenious and skillful mechanic, and a business man whose integrity was unquestioned. He was a worthy and valued citizen whose loss must be felt.”
Mr. Lincoln married (first) Mary Cook, of Tiverton, and they became the parents of the following children:
- Henry C, born May 15, 1829
- Edward, born July 7, 1831
- Mary M., born Dec. 15, 1834, who married Andrew Luscomb and resides in Fall River.
Mr. Lincoln married (second) Abby Luscomb, of Taunton, whom he survived. They had one son, Leontine, born Dec. 26, 1846.
Family of Henry C. Lincoln
Henry C. Lincoln, eldest son of Jonathan T. and Mary (Cook), was born at Taunton May 15, 1829, and received his education in the schools of Fall River. He learned the trade of machinist with his father and in 1856 was admitted a member of the newly formed firm of Kilburn, Lincoln & Son, bringing to it a practical knowledge of mechanics together with thorough business qualifications which added greatly to the firm’s success. Upon the death of his father he succeeded him as president of the corporation, which had become Kilburn, Lincoln & Co. This office Mr. Lincoln held until his death, which occurred Dec. 26, 1884. He was known as one of the best mechanics in the State and possessed a cool, well-balanced mind which made him a valued associate. He was a man of unquestioned integrity and commanded universal respect. He was largely interested in the great industries of Fall River and was president of the Seaconnet Mills and director of the Barnard, Weetamoe and Union Corporations. His death was generally considered a public loss. Mr. Lincoln married Laura A. Boomer, a native of Fall River, born April 3, 1833, daughter of James and Mary (Brightman) Boomer, and she survived him until Oct. 16, 1904. They had one daughter, Abbie Ella, who is the wife of Philip D. Borden, city civil engineer of Fall River.
Family of Edward Lincoln
Edward Lincoln, second son of Jonathan Thayer and Mary (Cook), was born July 7, 1831, in Taunton, Mass., and in early boyhood attended the public schools of Fall River, subsequently the high school and still later furthering his studies in the Peirce Academy, in the town of Middleboro, pursuing at the latter institution a three years’ course of study. By this time well equipped for life’s work, after a period of rest at home he in 1856 entered the office as bookkeeper of the firm of L. Lincoln & Co., paper manufacturers at North Dighton, with which concern his father was then connected, and which was the successor of the firm of C. M. & L. Lincoln, who had been in business since 1850. Some two years after his assuming the duties of book-keeper of the firm he was in 1858 admitted to a partnership therein; and on the death of his father in 1881 he came into possession of his interest and was with his associates actively engaged in the conduct of the business of the firm, having an identity with it of fifty-three years.
Mr. Lincoln was active and prominent in the public affairs of his town, having conducted his own business affairs in a most successful manner, for he was long one of the substantial men of his community. He was identified with the Republican party and was called from time to time to public service, being repeatedly elected selectman of the town, the duties of which important trust he most capably and efficiently performed for perhaps a decade or more. He represented his district in the State Assembly in 1886. He was for years a member of the school board and a trustee of the public library. He was treasurer of the North Dighton Cooperative Bank from its organization until his death. An active life of fifty years of citizenship in a community and with one business concern means much, especially when serving the public in so many ways officially as did Mr. Lincoln, and it speaks well of his standing among his fellow townsmen, of his usefulness and of his worth.
On Dec. 26, 1859, Mr. Lincoln was married to Ann L., daughter of Samuel and Nancy (Pettis) Codding, and their children were as follows:
- Edward Ellsworth, born July 20, 1861, is mentioned below
- Henry H., born Sept. 5, 1863, died July 8, 1864
- Nellie Cook, born June 1, 1865, married Dr. Harry B. Baker, and died Oct. 5, 1911, the mother of two children, Mabel L. (now Mrs. George B. Hammett) and Natalie
- Susie Codding, born March 9, 1868, died Sept. 11, 1870
- Henry C. L., born Dec. 9, 1869, married Carrie White, and they have one son, Emery
- Annie Leavett, born Oct. 18, 1871, married Arthur J. Dunlap and has two children, Lincoln and Kathryn
- Mary Ethel was born Aug. 1, 1874
Mr. Lincoln died Oct. 22, 1909.
Family of Edward Ellsworth Lincoln
Edward Ellsworth Lincoln, son of Edward, born July 20, 1861, was married in November, 1886, to Mary Bridget Maher, and has one son, Edward Ellsworth, Jr.
Mr. Lincoln was educated in the public schools of Dighton, and practically all his life, from the age of seventeen, has been connected with the present business. The paper manufacturing plant of which he and Nathaniel R. Lincoln are now sole proprietors was first operated under the name of C.M. &L. Lincoln, who in 1856 were succeeded by the firm of L. Lincoln & Co. At that time the firm consisted of Jonathan T. Lorenzo, Edward and James M. Lincoln. Each of these continued a member of the firm until the time of his death, the last one dying in October, 1909. In 1900 Charles Edward, Nathaniel R. and Edward Ellsworth Lincoln bought the interests of Lorenzo Lincoln and Joseph Philbrick, and in 1909, on the death of Edward Lincoln and Charles Edward Lincoln, Edward Ellsworth and Nathaniel R. Lincoln purchased the balance of the property, becoming sole owners. The firm has been very successful and since 1905 has doubled the capacity of the plant. Edward Ellsworth Lincoln succeeded his father as treasurer of the North Dighton Cooperative Bank, serving until April 1911, when he resigned. He also succeeded his father as trustee of the public library. A Republican in politics, he was elected on of the selectmen of Dighton in 1891, and continued to serve until 1900, was again elected in 1908 and is still serving. He has been a member of the school board since 1901.
Family of Leontine Lincoln
Leontine Lincoln, son of Jonathan Thayer and Abby (Luscomb), was born Dec. 26, 1846, in Fall River. During his boyhood he attended the Fall River public schools and later a private school in Providence, R.I. He began business at the ade of nineteen, when he entered the counting room of Kilburn, Lincoln & Co., of which corporation his father was then president (later succeeded in the presidency by his son Henry C. The Firm was then and still is a large manufacturer of cotton and silk machinery. Mr. Lincoln has been a director of some of the leading manufacturing interests of the city, including the Seaconnet, Tecumesh, King Philip, Hargraves, Parker and Arkwright Mills, and Barnard Manufacturing Company; is president of the Seaconet Mills Corporation, Lincoln Manufacturing Company, Hargraves Mills and the Parker Mils, Davis Mills, Luther Manufacturing Company and a trustee of the Home for Aged People. He was president of the Second National Bank for nearly twenty years, until the expiration of its charter.
In 1872 Mr. Lincoln succeeded E. C. Kilburn as treasurer of Kilburn, Lincoln & Co., and still retains this connection, his services (1911) covering a period of thirty-nine years. Andrew Luscomb, his brother-in-law, succeeded to the presidency of Kilburn, Lincoln & Co. on the death of Henry C. Lincoln, in 1884, and on the death of Mr. Luscomb in 1903 Mr. Lincoln followed him in that office.
Mr. Lincoln’s active interest in the educational institutions of Fall River has long been manifest, and he has served as a member of the school committee twenty-four years, and as its chairman for sixteen years. He is also a member and secretary of the board of trustees of the B. M. C. Durfee high school. He has been a member of the board of trustees of the public library for thirty-three years, during which time he has served as secretary and treasurer of the board, and is now its president. He has been president of the Bradford Durfee Textile Schools since its establishment in 1899. Mr. Lincoln has written and spoken on educational, industrial and political subjects. He was appointed a member of the State Board of Lunacy and Charity in 1894 (the State Board of Charity since 1898), and was elected chairman of the board in June, 1898. He was a delegate to the Republican National Convention in St. Louis in 1896, which nominated William McKinley for president. He is a member of the Old Colony Historical Society and the American Librarians’ Association; of the New England Cotton Manufacturers’ Association; the Home Market Club of Boston; the Brown University Club of Fall River; the Quequecchan Club, and the Boston City Club. In 1889 Brown University conferred upon Mr. Lincoln the honorary degree of A. M.
In May, 1868, Mr. Lincoln was married to Amelia Sanford, daughter of John Duncan, D. D., and Mary A. (Macowan) Duncan, and their children are:
- Jonathan Thayer
- Leontine, Jr.
Family of Jonathan Thayer Lincoln
Jonathan Thayer Lincoln, son of Leontine and Amelia S. (Duncan) Lincoln, was born at Fall River Nov. 6, 1869. He graduated from the B. M. C. Durfee high school in 1888, after which he entered Harvard and was graduated therefrom in 1892 with the degree of A. B. He then became connected with Kilburn, Lincoln & Co., and is now manager of this concern. He is vice president and director of the Hargreaves and Parker Mills, director of the Lincoln Manufacturing Company, Seaconnet Mills and Crystal Spring Bleaching and Dyeing Company. He is a well-known authority on economic questions, has delivered lectures at Dartmouth College on such topics, and is the author of “The City of the Dinner Bail” and of numerous articles concerning labor questions which have appeared in the leading magazines and separate volumes. He is a Republican in political faith, a member of the Masonic fraternity and socially a member of the Quequechan, Fall River Golf, Bowling Green and other clubs. He received from Dartmouth College the honorary degree of A. M. in 1911.
Mr. Lincoln married Nov. 24, 1903, at West Newton, Mass., Louise Sears Cobb, and they have two children
- Victoria Endicott, born Oct. 23, 1904
- Jonathan Thayer, Jr., born Dec. 16, 1910.
Leontine Lincoln, Jr., son of Leontine and Amelia S. (Duncan) Lincoln, was born in Fall River Aug. 6, 1872. He was educated in the public schools of Fall River and is associated with his father and brother in the business of Kilburn, Lincoln & Co.
Family of Caleb Martin Lincoln
Caleb Martin Lincoln, son of Caleb, born in Westville Feb. 4, 1802, died Nov. 24, 1855. He married Lydia Thresher, and their children were:
- Caleb, who was killed in an explosion at the paper mill in North Dighton
- Maria, who married Andrew Chapman
- James Martin
Family of James Martin Lincoln
James Martin Lincoln, son of Caleb Martin and Lydia (Thresher), was born Oct. 3, 1833, in Taunton, Mass. He received his early literary training in the Taunton public schools and in the Bristol Academy at Taunton. When his school days were over he began a business career in the paper mill at Westville, which at that time was operated by his father. Later, in 1852, he entered the business establishment of his father and uncle Lorenzo in the same line at North Dighton. With this concern he continued for the remainder of his life, and after 1854 was a member of the firm. He was one of the enterprising, public-spirited business men of his town, taking an intelligent interest in such measures as in his judgment were for the advancement of the town and the welfare of its people. While not an active politician, not a seeker of public preferment, he took pleasure in exercising his duty as a good citizen, along these lines, and was ever interested in seeing such of his fellow citizens chosen to office as were well qualified for it. For several years he was one of the road commissioners for his part of the town. He was for years identified with Masonry, was a member of King David’s Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and of St. Mark’s Chapter, E. A. M. He belonged to the Christian Church, and thought much of it, giving liberally of his time and means to further its good work. He died March 20, 1899.
Mr. Lincoln married Betsey Cordelia Codding, daughter of Samuel and Nancy (Pettis) Codding, and she died Dec. 14, 1910. Their children were:
- Charles Edward, born March 15, 1860, died June 25, 1909 (he married Mary E. Speet, and had one daughter, Susie B., now wife of Herbert H. Hewitt, of Fall River)
- Nathaniel E., born June 16, 1864
- Leon Caleb, born in September, 1874, who resides at North Dighton
Family of Nathaniel E. Lincoln
Nathaniel E. Lincoln, son of James Martin and Betsey Cordelia (Codding), was born June 16, 1864, and has been in business for many years in connection with Edward Ellsworth Lincoln, a full description of the concern appearing in this article. He was educated in the public schools of Dighton, and throughout his business career has been identified with the firm of L. Lincoln & Co. In 1891 he was one of the organizers of the North Dighton Cooperative Bank, becoming secretary and clerk of the corporation at that time and serving until his resignation in April, 1911. He is a member of King David’s Lodge, A. F. & A. M., St. Mark Chapter, E. A. M., St. John’s Commandery, K. T., and Palestine Temple, Mystic Shrine. He also belongs to Sabbatia Lodge, I. O. O. F., Naomi Encampment and Loyal Mayflower Lodge, Manchester Unity. Mr. Lincoln married Nellie Webster Codding, daughter of James and Sarah P. Codding, of Taunton.
Family of Lorenzo Lincoln
Lorenzo Lincoln, son of Caleb and Mercy, was born in that part of Taunton known as Westville Sept. 20, 1803, and died there Jan. 2, 1899. He attended school in the old schoolhouse in Westville, and furthered his studies at the private school of Rev. Alvin Cobb, one of considerable fame. As a boy he secured employment in the cotton factory of Mr. West in Westville, and later became overseer. He then was overseer of the weaving department in the Brick mill at Taunton, but afterward returned to his former position in the West mill. With his brother Caleb Martin Lincoln he established in 1850 the present business at North Dighton of L. Lincoln & Co., paper manufacturers. And this business may be said to have had its origin in the first establishment of the kind in what was the Old Colony. It was in 1809 that John West, a Boston merchant, began the manufacture of printing paper on the north side of the river at Westville in the town of Taunton. In 1823-24 Mr. West, associated with Messrs. Crocker and Richmond, built a cotton mill on the site of the old iron works of Hodijah Baylies, and both industries were carried on by them, the paper mill being managed by Richard Park, and later by Park, Lincoln & Park. Mr. West died in 1827, and Mr. Richmond in 1833. On the death of Mr. Richmond later Caleb M. Lincoln and Richard Park were associated in the management of the paper mill, and in time Mr. Lincoln and his brother Lorenzo purchased the mill equipment and removed it to North Dighton. Until 1855 the firm was C. M. & L. Lincoln, and after the death of Caleb M. Lincoln the firm became L. Lincoln & Co. From the beginning of this business in 1850 Lorenzo Lincoln continued his connection with it until his death. He kept his home in Westville, living on the old homestead and going to and from that place to the factory in North Dighton every day. He was never actively engaged in any other business, though he was president of the Atlas Tack Company (first known as the Taunton Tack Company) for many years. When quite young he was interested in military affairs, being a member of the militia company of Taunton, first as a private, then as ensign, lieutenant and finally captain in 1827, resigning his commission in 1831. He was always interested in politics (but not as an office holder), being a Whig, later a Republican. From 1837 until his death, a period of sixty-two years, he was deacon of the West Congregational Church, in which he was much interested, serving for many years also as superintendent of the Sunday school, member of the choir, and as a member of all the committees appointed for the welfare of the church in any direction. He lived a life of wide usefulness, and was a man of broad charity.
On Oct. 12; 1828, Mr. Lincoln married Charity H. Alden, born July 29, 1803, daughter of Earl and Mercy (Nelson) Alden, of Middleboro, and a direct descendant of John Alden. She died May 16, 1886. Their children were:
- Narcissa, born Aug. 12, 1830, married George Walker, of Taunton, and died June 14, 1867; one daughter, Mary E., died aged twelve years.
- Annie E., born Nov. 8, 1833, married Joseph Philbrick, son of Judge John Philbrick, and they had children as follows:
- Alice Maude married William V. Hathaway, resides in Taunton, and has one daughter, Ruth Philbrick, who married Archie E. Hunter
- Bradford Lincoln died at the age of twenty-seven years, unmarried
- Emily Robertson married Henry W. Harrub, and resides in Taunton (Mr. Harrub has one daughter, Deborah H., by a previous marriage)
- John Alden completed his education at Amherst College and is a member of the firm of John A. Philbrick & Bro., New York (he married Elizabeth Van V. Wilson, and has two children, John Alden, Jr., and Elizabeth Van V.)
- Joseph Matthews, who married Amelia B. Cook, is a member of the firm of John A. Philbrick & Bro.
- M. Emily, born Nov. 2, 1837, married Capt. Charles H. Paull, of Taunton, where he died and where his widow resides. They had three children:
- Annie L., married to Dr. William Y. Fox
- William A., of Boston
- Ethel H., of Taunton
- Mary W., born Jan. 29, 1840, is unmarried and resides in Taunton.
- William, born in December, 1842, died in October, 1843.