Since they were rather uniform in pattern, it will doubtless yield a clearer picture if the common points of the pioneer schools are given rather than giving short references to each one. Nearly all of the first school houses were built of unhewed or round logs and had roofs made of clapboards that had been split from some convenient oak of large size. These boards were generally two feet or more long, about eight inches wide, and were often laid without the use of nails, poles being used on each course to hold them down. These weight poles were fastened
It is much to be regretted that all records of matters pertaining to public schools during the first years of the settlement of the county, have been lost. All that can be done now is to record such matters as may be remembered by those who were engaged in school affairs in those days, as teachers or otherwise. As stated elsewhere, Mrs. Packwood taught the first school in the county, at Auburn, in the fall of 1862. Soon after her arrival she engaged in the work of raising money for the purpose of building a schoolhouse, and in a short
A directory of rural teacher listings for Ida County, Iowa, covering the years of 1906-1956. Covers the towns of: Battle, Blaine, Corwin, Douglas, Galva, Garfield, Grant, Griggs, Hayes, Logan, and Maple townships. Battle Township Rural Teachers Blaine Township Rural Teachers Corwin Township Rural Teachers Douglas Township Rural Teachers Galva Township Rural Teachers Garfield Township Rural Teachers Grant Township Rural Teachers Griggs Township Rural Teachers Hayes Township Rural Teachers Logan Township Rural Teachers Maple Township Rural Teachers Silver Creek Township Rural Teachers
In the early days, each county had an academy to which the State would furnish small annual appropriations. The first commissioners of Pulaski Academy were: Furney F. Gatlin Nelson Clayton Hardy Vickers William Hathorn Robert Thompson. These were named as such in Act of the Legislature, approved December 25, 1822. In 1830, by another Act of the Legislature, the following were “added to the commissioners of the Pulaski County Academy.” Robert N. Taylor Jacob Watson John Rawls William L. Tooke
Pulaski County Academy’s Records Mt. Horeb Grand Valley Academy was organized 1808. The date of 1st record is 1840 (Acts 1840, p. 13; Cobb p. 1194, 12/19/1840). 1821 Pulaski County Academy. 1832 Pulaski Walnut Branch Academy. 1840 Pulaski Mt. Horeb Grand Valley Academy. Number chartered 3 (Secondary Education in Georgia 1732-1858) Boogher. Pulaski County Academy-Higher Branches of Education taught. The number of Students taught, according to report of Commission from Academy Returns 1833, is 91 total. 35 male and 56 female. (Second Ed. in Georgia 1732-1858) Boogher. Academies Pulaski County That Robert N. Taylor, Jacob Watson, John Rawls, William L.
Those who have served as superintendents from 1926 to 1935 are as follows: T. A. Clower, 1926-28 M. E. Thompson, 1928-33 J. P. Millican, 1933 Principals have been as follows: M. E. Thompson, 1927-28 J. P. Millican, 1928-33 F. M. Greene, Jr., 1933-34 G. T. Simpson, 1934
About seventy-five years ago, two young men, John Polhill and Dick Carruthers, who had just finished high school, were elected co-principals of the Hawkinsville Academy. The school opened auspiciously with quite a number of students. The school building consisted of only one large room. John occupied a seat at one end of the room and Dick’s place was on the opposite side. After the students were classified, assigned lessons, etc., a class in spelling was called by Professor Carruthers. The class was instructed to first spell the words in rotation from the book and then give the proper pronunciation, after
The Board of Education has been a most vital factor in the development of the school to the high standard it now holds. Serving without pay, the members of the Board of Education have displayed an unusually whole-hearted interest in school life and activity. The harmonious accord of their decisions has helped the school to climb upward and has united the Board of Education, the City Commission, the teachers and the patrons in the desire to develop the best citizens in America from the youth of Hawkinsville. Those who have served on the Board from 1926-1935 are: H. F. Lawson
The Hawkinsville High School through the years has been outstanding. During the last half century seventy-five per cent of its graduates have enrolled in the different colleges and have generally taken good stands, the school for years ranking ninth in the State. None of this excellent record could have been possible without a uniformly splendid teaching force. Prof. T. A. Clower, a man of eighteen years successful experience, succeeded Professor Harris. From 1926 to 1935 the Hawkinsville public schools have made some progress despite the depression. Many books and magazines of value have been added to the library, and a
Members of County Board: Rev. G. R. McCall Ira E. Stanley Robt. W. Wynne Jas. J. Kinchin E. A. Pollock. 4 years Ira E. Stanley; 4 years David H. Hendleys 4 years Hezekiah Harrell.