G. R. McCall, Pres. of Board. J. J. Kinchins I. E. Stanley R. W. Wynne E. A. Pollock Terms expire see action of Grand Jury at Nov. term 1874. Appointed County School Commissioner April, November term 1874, G. R. McCall. Elected December 12, 1876.
Town of Hawkinsville-Whites, Males 136; females 160. Colored, Males 174; Females 174. Hawkinsville District-Whites, Males 39; females 38. Town of Cochran-Whites, Males 105; Females 93. Colored, Males 90; Females 107. Salem and Tripville District-Whites, Males 217; Females 238. Colored, Males 183; Females 198. Walker District-Whites, Males 8; Females 10. Colored, Males 93; Females 99. Hartford District-Whites, Males 138; Females 134. Colored, Males 240; Females 284. Mitchell District-Whites, Males 47; Females 64. Colored. Males 96; Females 129. Blue Springs-Whites, Males 61; Females 48. Colored, Males 61; Females 48. Whitfield District-Whites, Males 43; Females 34. Colored, Males 45; Females 64. Dupree District-Whites,
In the year 1889 the town of Hanksville had a number of private schools. The city council in 1890, considering a change in the system of the school elected the following trustees: Judge Jacob Watson James Stetson P. H. Lovejoy E. J. Henry Dave McCormick J. Jacobus. This board delegated Judge Watson to go to the Chautauquuar Lithia Springs to inquire for a superintendent. The board was then put in communication with N. E. Ware of Thomson, Ga., who was later elected. The following teachers were then elected: Geo. R. Glover Mrs. B. F. Parsons Miss Ida Watson Mrs. C.
About the year 1894 a teachers institute was organized and held in the courthouse. We had such an educational rally with the State school superintendent, Capt. Bradwell, and other out of town speakers, that it was decided that another institute would be held the following year. In 189 the citizens of the town decided to have a county fair. They went to work and arranged the grounds south of the town on the banks of the Ocmulgee River, where they built a race track, and enclosed the grounds with a plank fence. In putting up the fair buildings the superintendent
Superintendents A. T. Fountain, 1888-1891 W. A. Jelks, 1892 A. T. Fountain, 1893-1899 R. C. Sanders, 1900-1912 F. B. Asbell, 1912-1916 A. W. Fountain, 1917-1920 A. G. McKinney, 1921-1925 M. W. Harris, 1925-1926 D. R. Pearce, 1926-1935 Teachers Professor Brantley Prof. M. T. Hodge Prof. W. L. Harvard Capt. J. H. Martin M. N. McCall Prof. G. R. Glover Prof. R. C. Sanders Mike Hodge Dick Carruthers John Polhill Prof. Lee Henderson Prof. N. E. Ware Prof. Hugh Ware Prof. Thomas Polhill Prof. H. D. Knowles Prof. W. W. Carter Rev. D. C. Bussell Rev. F. B. Asbell A. M.
The first schoolhouse in Hawkinsville was built in the block that is bounded by Jackson, Broad, Commerce, and Lumpkin Streets. It was a little nearer Jackson Street, almost behind what is now the Ford station. One feature of the teaching of this school was that the pupils studied aloud. The patrons decided that this school was too near the business section, so a new schoolhouse was built beyond E. J. Henry’s place on the road to what was then called “the Polhill Place.” Afterwards the Tomlin place. This building was burned. At this time, Uncle Jimmy Williamson, as he was
The Bible An Important Factor in Civilization and Education
The public school is the general and permanent agency for the education and uplift of the colored people. Religious and independent schools may do a splendid work in their several localities, but the public school is intended to be state-wide. It alone reaches the masses of colored children, and it should receive its due share of the public funds. The fact that they have not received any thing like a fair share of the public funds, for their equipment and support, has already been stated. This, to a great extent, is an act of injustice. Conditions however are gradually improving.
Obligation and Pledges
A look at the turn of the 20th Century into the possibilities of an Industrial School system.