Funeral services for Gus S. Levy, 83, 1900 Resort St., will be conducted at Beth Israel Cemetery in Portland.
Mr. Levy, one of Eastern Oregon’s most prominent pioneer pharmacists was born to Adolph and Babette Levy March 11, 1880 at Union, and died this morning at St. Elizabeth Hospital.
Interested in livestock all his life, he was the founder of the Eastern Oregon Livestock Association in June, 1906. He was honored by the association in 1958.
He was one of Oregon’s best known horse breeder. For a number of years he maintained a government breeding station in Baker. Some of the Nation’s top thoroughbred horses were stationed in Baker by Mr. Levy.
He produced some of the top polo horses on the West Coast, one of the early great showman of Pacific International in Portland.
He was graduated from Union High School in 1900 and from the University of California in 1902 in pharmacy.
He married Gertrude Fuchs in Baker April 5, 1911. He retired in from the pharmacy profession at the age of 68.
Mr. Levy is survived by his wife; two sons, Milton L. Levy Danville. Calif., and Lou Levy, Pendleton; a sister, Estelle Levy, Pendleton; two nieces, Mrs. Oscar Loeb Portland, and Mrs. Clarence A. Bowman, San Rafael, Calif.; three nephews, Adolph L. Block, Portland; Edgar and Adolph Lewin both of San Francisco, Calif.; and by eight grandchildren, David M. Levy and Charles B. Levy, both of Danville, Robert L., Linda L., Richard, Mac H., Diane, and Lori all of Pendleton. A son, Henry Levy, died Oct 12, 1930. The family requests flowers be omitted.
Baker Democrat Herald, Mar 26, 1963 pg. 3 cols 3/4
Contrubuted by: Diane Levy Salmon