JOHN J. MORROW, M. D. Health is the most precious gift of nature, and how to retain it and how to regain it when lost are matters of vital moment. For this the physician’s services are often required, and it is therefore most necessary that he should be a man of intelligence, well-posted in his profession and conscientious and painstaking in his practice. These requirements are possessed by Dr. John J. Morrow, who is an exceptionally successful physician of Gassville, Baxter County, Arkansas He was born at McMinnville, Warren County, Tennessee, October 27, 1861, a son of D. G. and Mary J. (Kimberling) Morrow, the former of whom was also born in Warren County.
His father, John Morrow, was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was in the battle of Horse Shoe Bend. He was married three times and some of the members of his family still reside in Warren County, Tennessee, one of whom held a responsible official position recently. When a young man D. G. Morrow crossed the plains (1848) with cattle to California and he returned home via the Isthmus of Panama. In 1852 he made another trip to California, and after his return East he stopped at Ozark, Missouri, where he sold goods for some time. Just prior to the opening of the Civil War he made a trip to his native State, when the war opened he again came to Arkansas, and has ever since been a resident of Marion County, where he is classed among the most substantial citizens.
Dr. John J. Morrow was given the advantages of a good education in his youth and besides being an attendant of the school of Yellville, pursued his studies at Valley Springs, Boone County, Arkansas, after which he was engaged in teaching for some time. In this way he obtained means to pursue his Medical studies, and while teaching he also read medicine, his preceptor being Dr. W. T. Bryan. In the sessions of 1887-88-89 he attended lectures in the Medical Department Arkansas Industrial University, from which he graduated with honors, being second in his class. He at once commenced the practice of his profession at Wiley’s Cove, in Searcy County, but a few months later bought out J. H. Lindsey, M. D., at Glassville, and has since been one of the foremost physicians of this county. Although he is young in years and has practiced his profession but a short time, he has already won golden opinions for himself as a practitioner of the ” healing art,” and his clientele is already large and constantly on the increase. He is examining physician for the Equitable Life Insurance Company, of New York, and has been appointed one of the board of medical examiners of Baxter County, by the Pension Department. He has been secretary of the County Medical Association, has been vice-president and is now president of the same, and is also secretary of the District Medical Society. He commands the respect of his medical brethren as well as those who require his services, and gives every promise of becoming eminent in his profession. Socially he is a member of Gassville Lodge of the A. F. & A. M. January 5, 1894, he was married to Hattie I. Curlee, a daughter of John Curlee, of this county.