This manuscript in it’s basic form is a volume of 948 biographies of prominent men and women, all leading citizens of Western Colorado. Western Colorado in this case covers the counties of: Archuleta, Chaffee, Delta, Eagle, Garfield, Gunnison, Hinsdale, La Plata, Lake, Mesa, Mineral, Moffat, Montezuma, Montrose, Ouray, Pitkin, Rio Blanco, Routt, San Juan, and San Miguel.
Hiram Charlton took on the publication of the Genealogical and Family History of the State of Vermont for Lewis Publishing. In it, he enlisted the assistance of living residents of the state in providing biographical and genealogical details about their family, and then he published all 1104 family histories in two distinct volumes.
United States Soldiers of the Civil War Residing in Michigan, June 1, 1894 [ Names within brackets are reported in letters. ] Eaton County Bellevue Township. – Elias Stewart, Frank F. Hughes, Edwin J. Wood, Samuel Van Orman, John D. Conklin, Martin V. Moon. Mitchell Drollett, Levi Evans, William Fisher, William E. Pixley, William Henry Luscomb, George Carroll, Collins S. Lewis, David Crowell, Aaron Skeggs, Thomas Bailey, Andrew Day, L. G. Showerman, Hulbert Parmer, Fletcher Campbell, Lorenzo D. Fall, William Farlin, Francis Beecraft, William Caton, Servitus Tucker, William Shipp, Theodore Davis. Village of Bellevue. – William H. Latta, Thomas B.
JOHN SQUIRE. This gentleman is a successful merchant of Squire’s Post office, Douglas County, Missouri, and is one of the leading business men of the county. He was born in Devonshire, England, April 1, 1854, to John and Mary A. (Gorman) Squire, the former of whom died in the old country. The mother came, with her family, to the United States and settled in Logan County, Illinois The father of the subject of this sketch was a sturdy British yeoman and was engaged in tilling the soil until his death, which occurred at the age of seventy-six years. To himself
Squire, Andrew; lawyer; born, Oct. 21, 1850; Mantua, Portage County, 0.; son of Dr. Andrew Jackson and Martha (Wilmot) Squire; educated, public schools and Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, Hiram, O.; 1866-1867, took a course of medical lectures in Cleveland; graduated from Hiram College in 1872, came to Cleveland, and began the study of law in the office of Cadwell & Marvin; admitted to the bar in 1873; three years partnership with Mr. Marvin; then in the firm of Marvin, Squire & Hart; withdrew and formed a partnership with Mr. Estep; in 1882, firm became Estep, Dickey & Squire; in January,
Stephen Squire. The history of Riverside’s business enterprises could not be considered complete without mention of the well-known undertaking establishment conducted by the gentleman whose name heads this sketch. His undertaking parlors and warerooms are located at Perine Block, Eighth Street, and are the most complete in their appointments of all in the city. His enterprise is characterized by having the best to be obtained, among which is a $2,500 hearse of the latest and most approved style, and a large variety of caskets, metallic, natural and stained wood, cloth, velvet, silk and satin covered, etc. Mr. Squire is also
Jesse C. Squire, well known in agricultural circles in Ontario county, New York, who has successfully followed in the footsteps of his ancestors as a tiller of the soil, and who has added to their methods of cultivation the newer ideas which he has found practical, as they arose, is a descendant of one of the ancient families of England, and in a direct line of descent from Thomas Squire, of Worcestershire, England, who came to this country in 1630 with Governor Winthrop and settled at Charlestown, from whence his descendants have spread to various places. Some are to be
(II) Adin, son of Jesse Squire, came to Ontario county with his father in 1992, and lived and died on the farm which had been purchased for him.
(III) Jesse (2), son of Adin Squire. was born on the homestead farm in 1803, and from his early youth was well trained in the proper management and cultivation of a farm, which later passed into his possession. He took an active interest in the public affairs of the community in which he lived, and was a devoted member of the Methodist church. His death occurred February 9, 1892. His children were: William A., J. Fletcher, Mary J., Milton M., Jesse C., Eugene A.
(IV) Jesse C., son of Jesse (2) Squire, was horn August 28, 1841. Like his forefathers, he has devoted himself to the pursuit of agriculture, finding this the occupation for which he was best fitted by nature and inclination. He and his only surviving brother, Eugene A., shared between them the landed estate left by their father. This consists of three hundred acres of land, in a fine state of cultivation, and has been divided into two sections, known tinder the names of the Maple Hurst (Woods) and the Valley Farm. Mr. Squire is thoroughly conversant with all the improved