This name in German is Yager, but when translated it means Hunter. Andrew Hunter, and his wife, of Germany, came to America and settled in Greenbriar County, Virginia, where they had John, Tobias, Philip, William, Peter, Elizabeth, and Sarah. Peter, who changed the family name from Yager to Hunter, married Margaret Wood, and settled in North Carolina in 1816, and in 1819 he and his family and his two sisters, Sarah and Elizabeth, came to Missouri and settled in Montgomery County. The change of the name was the cause of the family losing a large estate in Germany, as the
The Humboldt Mining Company, who control our of the largest and best hydraulic properties in this section, was organized in 1881 by Horose Sloan, Ira Sproul, Herbert Hunter, Fred Frey, Harry Heppner and Fred Yorgenson, to work 320 acres lying adjacent to Canyon City. The properly had been worked by the drifting process since 1862, with an average success yearly of nearly a million dollars. The nature of the property is that of an old river channel running with gold. A ditch has been built on it 8½ miles long, with a capacity of 1,000 inches of water. The present
ROBERT HUNTER: (d. 1734), Governor of New York and Jamaica, belonged to the family of Hunter of Hunterstin, Ayrshire (See Burke, “Landed Gentry,” 1886 ed.) Paterson describes him as one of the children of James Hunter, who was a son of the laird of that ilk, and married Margaret, daughter of the Rev. John Spalding of Dreghorn. It appears probable that Hunter was the Robert Hunter, esquire, appointed Mayor of Brigadier-General Charles Ross’s dragoons (5th royal Irish Dragoons) on 13 April 1698. Hunter was appointed Governor of New York, and sailed with the refugees early in 1710. In November of
ROBERT HUNTER: (fl. 1750-1780), portrait painter, a native of Ulster, studied under the elder Pope, and had a considerable practice in Dublin about the middle of the eighteenth cen tury. He modelled his tone of colouring on the painting of old masters. His portraits were excellent likenesses, if not of the first rank in painting. He had an extensive practice until the arrival of Robert Home in 1780, who attracted the leaders of fashion. Hunter took a prominent part in the foundation of the Dublin Society of Artists, and was a frequent contributor to their exhibitions in Dublin. Many of
ADMIRAL CUTHBERT HUNTER: b. 10 March 1866; y.s. of late J. J. Hunter of The Grange, Whickham, Co. Durham; educ.: Eastman’s; H.M.S. Britannia. Joined as Naval Cadet 1879; passed out of H.M.S. Britannia as Midshipman, and 1st of the term; Lieut. 1887; served as Gunnery Lieutenant on staff of H.M.S. Commander, 1900; Captain, 1905; last Command afloat H.M.S. Hampshire; Vice President of the Ordinance Committee, which he relinquished on promotion to Rear-Admiral, 3 April 1917, retired 1917; Adm. 1925. Address: 6 Vanbrugh Terrace, Blackheath, S.E.: Greenwich 1292. Clubs: Royal Thames Yacht, Royal Naval, Portsmouth.
CANON EDWARD THOMAS GURNEY HUNTER: M.A.; Hon. C.F.; Surrogate of Diocese of Bradford; Rector of Keighley since 1919; member of Missionary Council Education Committee since 1924; Hon. Canon of Bradford, 1926; b. July 20, 1880; s. of Capt. James Edward Hunter, R.N., J.P.; educ.: St. Paul’s School; Trinity College, Oxford; Oxford House, Bethnal Green. Curate of St. Marks, St. Helens, Lancs., 1904-11; Vicar of Crakehall, Yorks., 1911-19; Temporary C.F., 1915-19. Publication: “Thoughts on the Invisible.” Address: Keighley Rectory, Yorks, T.: Keighley 262. M.: XL 8186.
F150 WILLIAM HUNTER: Inherited the estates of Medomsley, which had been in the family since 1584. Died 1712. F151 ROBERT HUNTER: married 1715. F152 CUTHBERT HUNTER: m. 1749. F153 GEN. SIR MARTIN HUNTER: Governor of Sterling Castle; b. 1757. F154 MATTHEW DYSANT HUNTER: b. 1803. F155 MARTIN HUNTER: b. 1854.
RACHEL HUNTER: (1754-1813), novelist, born in London about 1754, married an English merchant resident in Lisbon, but after ten years of married life her husband died, and Mrs. Hunter returned to England. She took up her abode in Norwich either 1794 or 1795, and devoted herself henceforth to literary pursuits. She died at Norwich in 1813. She wrote a series of childish novels, characterised by a “strictly moral tendency.”
ANNE HUNTER: (1742-1821), poetess, eldest daughter of Robert Home, surgeon, and sister of Sir Everard Home (q.v.); married in July 1771, John Hunter (q.v.) the great surgeon. Be fore her marriage she had gained some note as a lyrical poetess, her “Flower of the Forest” appearing in “The Lark,” an Edinburgh periodical, in 1765. Her social literary parties were among the most enjoyable of her time.
HENRY NOEL ALEXANDER HUNTER: D.S.O. 1918, the Queen’s Regt.; b. 1881; educ.: Temple Grove; Haileybury College. Served South African War, 1899-1902 (Queen’s medal and three clasps, King’s medal and two clasps); European War, 1914-18 (despatches, D.S.O., Bt. Lt.-Col.). Address: The Queen’s Royal Regiment, c/o Lloyd’s , 6 Pall Mall, S. W. 1.