Baker City, Oregon
Leonard Nemec Sr., 88, of Baker City died May 25, 2002, at St. Elizabeth Health Services with all of his family at his bedside.
At his request, there will be no services.
Leonard was born Feb. 11, 1914, in Weston, Neb., to Henry and Frances (Bures) Nemec. He married Martha Kulhanek on June 19, 1934, in Dwight, Neb., and they had five children.
The Nemecs farmed in Butler and Dodge counties before moving to David City in 1948 where they owned and operated a tavern for two years. In 1950, they moved to Baker and lived on a ranch on Auburn Road before moving to town in 1956. Leonard worked at Burnt River (Ellingson Lumber Co.) for 29 years, retiring in 1979. Leonard loved working at the mill.
He was a loving father and grandfather who enjoyed his family and wanted them to be with him all of the time. He especially loved watching his sons and grandchildren participate in sports over the years and hunting and fishing with them. He also loved watching television and listening to polka music. His family and home meant everything to him.
Survivors include his wife, Martha; sons, Leonard Nemec and his wife, Norma, of Baker City, and Dan Nemec and his wife, Margaret, of Clackamas; daughters, Dee Swinyer and her husband, Carl, of Sumpter, Donna Brackin of Baker City and Mary Ann and her husband, Rich, of Redmond; 10 grandchildren, 10 great grandchildren and one great great grandchild.
Leonard was preceded in death by his parents; four grandsons, Jim Brackin, Matt Nemec, Donny Swinyer and Ronny Swinyer; a granddaughter, Doorie Hindman; a great-granddaughter, Angie Minor; a son-in-law, Chuck Brackin; and 11 brothers and sister: Rudolph Nemec, Christina Hromas, Ludmilly Kavar, Eva Kohowt, Henrietta Wesely, Adolph Nemec, Henry Nemec Jr., Emma Buresh, Frances Kovar, Georgia Buresh and Bohumil Nemec.
Contributions in Leonard’s memory may be made to the DAV Van Fund, in care of Coles Funeral Home, 1950 Place St., Baker City, OR 97814.
Used with permission from: Baker City Herald, Baker City, Oregon, May 31, 2002
Transcribed by: Belva Ticknor