(III) Nathan D., son of De Witt C. and Amelia J. (Finley) Lapham, was born in Macedon, Wayne county, New York, November 14, 1871. From his earliest years he was of a studious nature and made the best possible use of the educational advantages afforded by the Macedon Academy, of which he was a graduate. Subsequently he was a student in the Cornell Law School, from which he was graduated in the class of 1895, this institution awarding him a post-graduate scholarship. He was admitted to the bar December 26, 1895, and he established himself in the practice of his profession in the spring of 1896, at Lyons, New York, in association with Clyde W. Knapp, who is at present the county judge of Wayne county, the firm being known as Knapp & Lapham, and being dissolved after a period of two years. During 1899-98 Mr. Lapham served as clerk of the board of supervisors, and after the dissolution of his partnership with Mr. Knapp he practiced independently at Lyons until 1902, when he sold his interests to B. S. Rude. On November 13, 1904, he removed to Geneva, New York, where he commenced practicing his profession and won almost immediate recognition for the excellence of his methods. During his six years practice in Geneva he has been called upon to serve as the counsel in seven murder trials, in three of which he gained acquittals for the prisoner; of the other four cases one was sentenced to the electric chair, but is now (1910) tinder sentence, pending application for a new trial, one was sentenced to a term of imprisonment for nineteen years, and the other two received short sentences. Mr. Lapham has gradually withdrawn from the criminal law practice and is devoting more attention to civil cases. As an assistant to Commissioner Clement, of Albany, he has been engaged in special work of prosecution of excise cases, and is now (1910) engaged in prosecuting franchise tax cases under special assignment from Attorney-General O’Malley. His political support has always been earnestly given to the interests of the Republican party, and he has a brilliant future before him. Mr. Lapham is a man of more than usual sagacity and sound judgment and is noted for his many excellent characteristics. He is forceful and eloquent in his manner of addressing a jury, which fact carries considerable weight in the decisions rendered, and his services are in great demand as an orator in political campaigns. As a citizen he is universally esteemed, always sustaining the character of a true man. His business transactions are conducted on the principles of strict integrity, and he has fulfilled to the letter every trust committed to him. His social and fraternal affiliations are numerous. among them being the following: Macedon Lodge, No. 665. Free and Accepted Masons; Delta Chi Chapter of Ithaca, New York: Kanadasaga Club: and he served as president of the Taft and Sherman Club during the campaign of 1908.
Mr. Lapham married, October 14, 1903, Rose E., daughter of Harvey and Kate B. Case, formerly of Clyde, New York, now (1910) residing with Mr. and Mrs. Lapham. Mr. and Mrs. Lapham are members of the North Presbyterian Church.