James Candage was the son of James and Elizabeth Candage, who settled upon the Neck in 1766 from Beverly, Mass., born May 9, 1753; married Hannah, daughter of John Roundy, April 13, 1775; she was born at Beverly, August 4, 1753; died March 12, 1851, aged 97 years, 7 months, 8 days; he died Jan. 12, 1819, aged 65 years and 8 months. Their children were: Elizabeth, Samuel, Gideon, Sarah, James, Azor and John.
Blue Hill Maine
Capt. Foster Hardin was a sailor and sea captain in early life, and married Ann Robertson Aug. 24, 1826, “both” being recorded at that time as of Sedgwick. Mr. Hardin died March 11, 1874, and Ann, his widow, February 1887, aged above eighty. Their children were: Edsley, David, George, Mary, Hiram, Eveline, John, Francis, Robert, Marcy and Charles.
Jeremiah Stover. He was born in Penobscot Dec. 5, 1770; came to Blue Hill a young man, built the house referred to before 1800. He married, Dec. 16, 1793, Abigail Devereux. He was a farmer and tanner and currier. The family consisted of nine children, as follows: Lois, Abigail, Jonathan, Hannah, Newton, Jeremiah, Lydia, Cynthia, and Martha.
Jedediah Holt was the son of Nicholas Holt, who came from Andover, Mass., to Blue Hill in 1765. Jedediah was born at Andover, March 12, 1754. He married Sarah Thorndike, Feb. 24, 1778. She died Jan. 15, 1836. They had six children as follows: Jedediah, Jeremiah, Jonah, Samuel, Stephen and Sally.
F. A. Darling was the son of Jedediah and Lydia (Stinson) Darling, born Oct. 1, 1815; married Phebe Wood Savage, Feb. 1, 1838, to whom were born the following children: Augusta, Ellen, George and Frank.
Nathan Staples, and wife Sally, from Sedgwick, lived upon Long Island, Blue Hill Maine, near the lower end. Children: Elizabeth, John and Nathan.
Dr. Nathan Tenney was a native of Bradford, Mass., born May 23, 1769; came first to Sedgwick when a young man, then to Blue Hill about 1815. He married Mary, daughter of Major David Carleton, of Sedgwick, Aug. 21, 1796. She was born Oct. 23, 1777; died May 9, 1820. He died June 29, 1848, aged seventy-nine years. He practiced medicine; was considered skillful and for many years was the chief doctor in the town. His children were: Polly, Sophia, John, Rebecca, William, Jane, Nabby, Julia and David.
Dea. Seth Hewins was born in Dedham, Mass., Feb. 12, 1773; married Katherine Fisher, sister to Rev. Jonathan Fisher, Sept. 2, 1799. She was born March 27, 1771; died Aug. 15, 1854. They came to Blue Hill in 1799, and here resided until their death, he dying May 9, 1844. Dea. Hewins and wife had four children born to them. They were: Katherine, Seth, Cynthia, and Sukey.
The family record of Robert Robertson is not found at Blue Hill, but the children were. Mr. Robertson died many years ago, and his widow on March 29, 1855, aged seventy-four years. Children: Jane, Ann, George, John, Robert, and William.
Capt. Merrill was the son of Caleb and Betsey (Candage) (Day) Merrill, widow of James Day; born May 5, 1804. He was a sea captain, who married Louisa Clough, daughter of Asa and Abigail (Pecker) Clough, August 28, 1831; she was born Sept. 27, 1811; died August 22, 1847 leaving children as follows: Caroline, Juliet, William, Horace, Parris, Mary and Abby.
It appears by the records that there were four person who settled in the south part of the town by the name of Carleton, whose given names were Edward, Dudley, Moses and David, all from Andover, Massachusetts, and evidently brothers. They built the mills first known as Carleton’s mills, mentioned in the town records in 1770 for the first time when Dudley Carleton was elected a selectman, in 1771 was re-elected and in 1772 was chosen one of a committee to keep the fish course clear at Carleton’s mills.
Charles Colburn was a sailor in his younger days; he was born in the town of Billerica, Mass., and came to Blue Hill previous to 1829. He married Serena Parker, daughter of Marble and Hannah (Lovejoy) Parker, Oct. 15, 1829. The children of Charles and Serena Colburn were as follows: Hannah, Eliza, Charles and Mary.
Benjamin Clay was the son of Jonathan and Mary (Roundy) Clay, born Oct. 17, 1781; married, first, Relief Green, Feb. 20, 1803, by whom he had the following children: Rebecca, Chesley, Amanda, and Clarinda. The mother of these children died of consumption May 10, 1830, aged fifty-three years, and Mr. Clay married second Sally Clough, Feb. 24, 1831, by whom he had children: Sarah (died young), Benja and Sarah.
Jonathan Ellis was born in Bellingham June, 1774, married Susannah Parker, Sept. 11, 1795, daughter of Peter Parker, Sr.; she was born June 27, 1772; died August 17, 1803; her husband died Dec. 23, 1806. Children were: Jonathan, Charles, Almira and Amos.
Matthew Ray was a blacksmith and edge-tool manufacturer, with factory and trip-hammer run by water power upon the Mill stream in the village, above the bridge at Main street. He removed from the town to Bangor before 1840, and is supposed to have died in that city. He married, May 29, 1810, Roxana Nickerson, by whom he had: Louisa, Eunice, Harriet, George, William, John, Roxana. He married 2nd, Harriet Hinckley, by whom he had: Mary.
Capt. Joseph Wood was an early settler in Blue Hill arriving in 1763 with some of his sons: Israel, Joseph and Robert. Across the road from the schoolhouse is the cellar over which it is said the house of which he built stood, when he removed from the island at the Fore Falls.
The Gott Genealogy of Blue Hill, Maine treats the families of brothers, Joseph and David Gott, who came from Mt. Desert Maine and settled in Blue Hill Maine.
The tide mills, the first of which was built in 1765, when at its raising every person in town was present and all sat about one table at dinner, was the first mill of the town, and was named “Endeavor”. The father and grandfather of the writer were owners in the mills, and has worked …
Andrew Witham was born in Bradford, Massachusetts, Nov. 11, 1768; came to Blue Hill a young man; married, first, Mehitable Kimball, May 9, 1790. She was born Jan. 24, 1770; died Aug. 8, 1800. There were four children by that marriage as follows: Charlotte, John, Mehitable and Harriet. Mr. Witham married second, Molly Parker, Oct. 20, 1801; daughter of Col. Nathan and Molly (Wood) Parker, born May 30, 1770; died July 13, 1830. They had two children: Ira and Otis. Mr. Witham married third, Mrs. Ann Chadwick, April 12, 1831; she died July 2, 1836.
The Douglass Genealogy of Blue Hill, Maine treats two different sets of Douglass brothers and their families: John and Isaac Douglass, and James and Sylvanus Douglass.