The Samuel Smith Place on which stood a brick one-story cottage built by John and Ames Arnold was the next below the Blue Hill academy. The writer does not remember when it was built, but it was probably about 1832. Samuel Smith, it is said, came from Beverly, Mass., to the town, and entered into trade of a general character in the village, keeping groceries. West India and other goods.
He married Julia Ann Holt, Sept. 1st, 1833, daughter of Jeremiah Thorndike and Elizabeth (Osgood) Holt, born April 2, 1812, and died July 22, 1858. Samuel Smith died Dec. 16, 1845. His birth and age are not given in the Blue Hill records. According to the remembrance of the writer he died suddenly in his store, the same now used as a grain room by A. C. Hinckley. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Smith were as follows, viz.:
- Albert Smith, born Oct. 22, 1834; died in 1857.
- Frances Elizabeth Smith, born Sept. 4, 1836.
- Amy Ellen Smith, born July 2, 1842.
- Benjamin Edwards Smith, born Jan. 28, 1845.
After the death of Mr. and Mrs. Smith the place changed ownership and was occupied by several parties, among whom was Mrs. Sarah E. Bent. Since then it has not only changed hands, but has changed its appearance and shape by addition of a story with gables, to fit it to the liking of the present owner. Just below this house there stood in the writer’s boyhood a blacksmith shop, upon the site of the house built and occupied by Mr. Venner, a photographer of the town.