BIGBURY, a small village on the west side of the Aven valley, about 1½ miles from Bigbury Bay, and 3½ miles S. of Modbury, has in its parish 652 souls, and 2902A. 2R. 20P. of land. It includes many scattered houses, and a hamlet called St. Ann’s Chapel. The manor was held for nine generations by a family of its own name, and afterwards passed to the Champernownes, Willoughbys, and Pawlets. It now belongs to the Duke of Cleveland and the Countess Dowager of Sandwich, who are also patrons of the rectory, but part of the parish belongs to W. L. Prettejohn and several smaller owners. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £28. 7s. 11d., and in 1831 at £688, is in the incumbency of the Rev. Terence Livingston, who has 99A. 2R. 39p. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1843 for £500 per annum. The Church (St. Lawrence,) is an ancient structure, in the perpendicular style, with a tower containing five bells, and crowned by a spire. Its pulpit was formerly in Ashburton church, and is finely carved. Here is a small Baptist Chapel. The poor parishioners have the interest of £25, left by a Mr. Lee and a Mr. Lome.