Farming operations have always claimed the attention of John A. Anderson and since starting out in life for himself he has operated land in Norway Township, now owning a fine place of one hundred and sixty acres on section 36. 1k was born in that Township on the 23rd of July, 1866, his parents being Alexander and Alice (Hamilton) Anderson, both natives of Scotland. The father was born September 3. 1823, and died on the 3rd of April, 1890, while the mother’s birth occurred in 1832 and she passed away January 4, 1876. They were married in Racine in 1863. It was in 1842 that Alexander Anderson accompanied his parents. Alexander and Rachel (Roberts) Anderson emigrated from Scotland to the new world, taking up their residence in Norway Township, Racine County. Here the grandfather of our subject secured a tract of government land, the patent being signed by President Tyler. This place consisted of a quarter section and was entirely unimproved when it came into his possession. Alexander Anderson, Jr., attended the public schools of Scotland until eleven years of age and received a good practical education which well fitted him for life’s responsible duties. He succeeded to the ownership of the old homestead in Norway Township and built thereon an elegant residence and good, substantial outbuildings. His home was upon what was originally the Chicago and Milwaukee dirt road. He tiled his land, cleared it and placed it under good cultivation. He was a faithful member of and earnest worker in the Presbyterian Church, of which his parents became charter members on its organization in 1845. He served as elder of that church until his death and was a stanch supporter of the Republican Party.
There were only two children in the family, twins, and the daughter, Isabelle Rachel Anderson, died on the 6th of December, 1872. The only survivor is John A. Anderson of this review. After attending the district schools he pursued his duties for one year in an academy at Rochester. Wisconsin, and then took up farming in earnest. He had been reared to agricultural pursuits and was well qualified to take charge of the home farm when it came into his possession. He has upon his place fifteen head of full blooded Holstein cattle and makes a specialty of dairying. He is today the owner of one hundred and sixty acres of what is considered one of the finest farms in Racine County.
On the 28th of May, 1896, Mr. Anderson married Miss Jennie Vass, a native of Vernon, Waukesha County, Wisconsin, and a daughter of John and Jenette (Finley) Vass. Her father was a native of Canada but when a young man came to Wisconsin and died in Waukesha County. At the age of eighteen years Mr. Anderson united with the Scotch Presbyterian church and two years later was ordained as elder, in which capacity he continued to serve until the church was discontinued at Waterford. He and his wife now attend the Methodist Episcopal Church at that place and take an active interest in its work. He is an ardent supporter of the Republican Party and has served for three years as chairman in Norway Township. He has done much to advance the moral and material welfare of his community and is justly regarded as one of the leading citizens and representative farmers of Norway Township.