Gilmore Hays was a native of Kentucky, but resided in Missouri, where he was district judge, when the gold discovery drew him to California.
Returning to Missouri, he led a train of immigrants to Oregon in 1852, and in 1833 settled on Des Chutes River near the head of Budd Inlet. The year 1852 was the time of the cholera on the plains, and Hays lost his wife and two children, who were buried near Salmon Falls of Snake River, together with the wife of B. F. Yantis. There remained to him three sons, James H., Charles, and Robert, and one daughter, who married J. G. Parker, all of whom reside in Olympia.
In the same company were John P. and Isaac Hays, his brothers, N. Ostrander, Hilary Butler, James Scott, and their families, Thomas Prather, George Fry, and others.
When the Indian war threatened, he was first to volunteer, his was the first company raised, and throughout he was of much service to the territory. After the termination of the war, he returned to Mo., but in 1863 removed to Idaho, and was useful to the supt of Ind. affairs for Washington in arranging treaties with the natives.
Failing health caused him to return to Puget Sound, where he died October 10, 1880. Olympia Transcript, Oct. 30, 1880; Olympia Standard, Oct. 29, 1880; Olympia Courier, Oct. 29, 1880.