Biographical Sketch of Joseph P. Rector

Among those who have gained a remarkable success in Harney county we are constrained to mention the gentleman whose name initiates this paragraph, and who has wrought such wisdom, energy and assiduity that he has gained one of the finest holdings of the county and is numbered among leading stockmen of this section. This is more to his credit when it is mentioned that he came to the county with no means and has gained his entire property by his thrift and wise management since his advent.

Joseph P. was born in Schenectady county, New York, on August 28, 1844, being the son of Matthew H. and Ruth Rector. He grew up on a farm and gained his education from the adjacent schools. In 1869 he came west as far as the railroad ran and then took wagon transportation to the terminus of the Central Pacific and came to San Francisco. He soon located in Humboldt county and for several years engaged in farming and dairying. Then he transferred his residence to Palisades, Nevada, and engaged in raising stock. In 1880 he came to Harney valley and worked for wages for a time and then located his present place, fifteen miles northeast from Lawen and as many miles southeast from Harney. He devoted his attention to raising stock, cattle and horses, and he has been attended with fine success. He now has one thousand acres of fine land, all fenced and well improved. He has a fine grove, excellent orchard and devotes much of his land to raising hay. His industry and thrift account for the success that he enjoys. His ranch is known all over the country as the Crow Camp ranch. The reason for this is that in the early days a Mr. Rankin Crow, who was herding stock for Todhunter & Devine, discovered the excellent springs located at this point and also the abundance of good grass all about, which resulted from the fertility of the soil and the generous supply of pure water free from alkali, and he made it his headquarters for a long time. Then the soldiers from Camp Harney to their stock to this place. Since that time it has been known as the Crow Camp ranch and it one of the finest stock ranches in this portion of the state. Mr. Rector manifested his excellent judgment in securing it and making it a permanent location. Mr. Rector is esteemed by all and stands well throughout the county. He has always kept within the realm of the celibate and chooses rather the quiet and comfort of that life to the cares of connubiality.



Whitman, Marcus. An Illustrated history of Baker, Grant, Malheur and Harney Counties: with a brief outline of the early history of the state of Oregon. Chicago: Western Historical Publishing Co., 1902, 871 pgs.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Discover more from Access Genealogy

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Scroll to Top