Harney County Oregon genealogy consists of a brief history of the county, biographical sketches of some early residents, as well as obituaries. Harney Valley, Harvey Lake, Harvey City successor to Harney Camp, Harney County, and lastly Harney land district were named in honor of General Harney, who, so traditions of the Harney country tell us, “had a brush with the Indians while guiding emigrants through the valley.” The general in 1890 acknowledged this comment to his early army days, in an autograph letter to the to “council of Harney City. In area the county which was organized in 1889, is
Location: Harney County OR
These 91 biographies and sketches have been taken from the manuscript “An Illustrated History of Baker, Grant, Malheur and Harney Counties Oregon.” Presently this is an incomplete offering so subscribe to this page if you’re interested on further updates. We will eventually provide the entire manuscript here.
This establishment is a credit to Burns. Their building, of which we present a cut, was erected in 1892, and is one of the first stone buildings put up in the interior. They carry a large and well assorted stock of shelf and heavy hardware, stoves and tinnier, crockery, glassware, sporting goods, cutlery &c. They are exclusive agents for the Peters Cartridge Co., Queen heating stoves, Born steel ranges, D. M. Osborn & Co.’s farm machinery, Heath & Milligan paints, and other special lines. They have the only tin shop in the interior, doing plumbing, jobbing and repairing. The also
This pioneer establishment, the largest general merchandise store in the state off the railroad, had its beginning in a small way. It was started in 1854 by Nathan Brown who had associated with himself his sons Leon M. and Ben. From that time their business has gradually grown until 18l6, they were compelled to erect their present quarters, which is built of stone, and is 59×119, two stories high. In this they carry the most complete line of general merchandise in the interior, catering largely to the sheep and cattlemen, and aim to sell goods at railroad prices, freight added.
Geo. W. Hayes stands high among the voting attorneys Eastern Oregon, and has established a foothold in Harney County from which it would be difficult to eradicate possessing as he does talent, energy, ambition and industry. He was born In Marion County, Iowa in 1859, coming across the plains with his parents in 1862, in an ox team. They located at Eugene, Lane County, where he stayed until 1874, having at intervals attended the log schoolhouse. Moving to Lake County, he kept up his studies, and at the age of 18 began teaching school, working also at the carpenter’s trade.
The subject of this sketch has led an active life both as a public man and as a private individual. He is one of our self-made men and has won, and fully deserves every iota of esteem and regard in which he is held by his industry, integrity and enterprise. He was born in Header San County, Kentucky, in 1865, and lived on a farm until the age of 16. Moving at that age with his parents to Malheur County, Oregon. On coming to this State he followed several vocations until September. 1887, when he was appointed deputy county clerk
A. J. McKinnon, the present sheriff of Harney County, was born in Page County, Iowa, in 1866. He has been a resident of this County with but short intervals since 1886, during a portion of which time he conducted a blacksmith shop in Burns. In June 1896, he was elected sheriff on the Democratic ticket, and has given general satisfaction as an officer, being both capable find efficient. He takes quite an interest in fraternal affairs, being a Mason, Knight and Odd Fellow.
H. M. Horton, the leading druggist of Burns, came to Grant County in 1885, locating in Diamond Valley, where he followed his profession of dentistry. In 1891 he started in the drug business, and has gradually forged to the front until today he has the largest store in Eastern Oregon off the railroad. It is complete in every respect, being composed of drugs, chemicals, sundries, stationery, books, cigars, clocks and jewelry, &c. He occupies his own building, built of stone, of which we show an illustration. H. M. Horton is both it registered pharmacist and dentist in this State, and
Hon. Chas. P. Rutherford, County Judge of Harney County. Is essentially a self-made man. Left an orphan at an early age, his education was that of the tallow dip and district school. At the age of sixteen he began ruining through Idaho and Oregon, also packing from Umatilla landing to Boise Basin. In 1873 he began raising stock in Grant County, but moved five years later to Morrow County. Returning in 1887 to Grant, now Harney, County, he has resided here since. He was formerly a member of the Democratic Party, but was elected County Judge in 1894 on the
It is perfectly natural to admire pluck and ambition in a young man and this no doubt is one reason why he whose name heads this sketch has won so many friends during silence in Oregon. He is of flint class who are opposed to leading the routine life of all unambitious citizens, but with the energy and enterprise characteristic of Young America when untrammeled with restraint, he seeks higher and nobler spheres of life, and looks forward to securing fame and fortune before being overtaken by old age. Mr. Biggs was born in Georgetown, Kentucky, in 1870, but moved