One of the city fathers, and a prominent citizen of Baker City was born September 25, 1854. in our sister state, Washington. He moved to The Dalles with his parents twelve years later, and received his preliminary education there. They moved later to Umatilla, and he then attended Whitman College at Walla Walla. In 1874 he moved to Baker City, and has been interested hi the stock business more or less since. At present he is running the Depot Feed and Livery Stables, and has built up a patronage that speaks well for his personal popularity. He is also largely interested in mining, owning some very promising claims. The “Cambria” lies a mile east of the “White Swan.” There has been 400 feet of developing done on it, and it shows a vein 30 feet wide which assay from ten to fifteen dollars. The “Ben Davis,” his other claim, lies two and a half miles away from it and promises to be equally rich. Mr. Laidy married Miss Gray, of Portland, in 1890. In September, 1896 he was elected a member of the city council to fill a vacancy, and has held the same ever since.