Among the leading financial institutions of Muskogee county is numbered the Haskell National Bank, of which John W. Capps is the president, and the successful conduct of the enterprise is largely due to his well formulated and promptly execute plans and marked business ability. He was born in Madison county, Arkansas, June 15, 1880, and is a son of James R. and Louisa (King) Capps, the former a native of Missouri and the latter of Texas. For four years the father cultivated a farm in Arkansas and in 1888 removed to Texas, where he purchased land which he continued to improve and develop until 1894, when he came to Oklahoma, settling near Choska. There he was engaged in farming and stock raising until 1900, when he retired from active business life and continued to make his home with his children until his demise, which occurred September 6, 1920, while the mother had passed away on the 6th of January, 1916.
In the acquirement of an education John W. Capps attended the public schools of Texas and Oklahoma and remained at home until he reached the age of eighteen, when he engaged in the grocery business at Clarksville, in what was then known as Indian Territory, continuing active along that line until 1903. In that year he opened the First State Bank of Clarksville, which he conducted at that place until 1908, when he established the institution in Porter, Oklahoma. In 1911 he came to Haskell and purchased the First State Bank of Haskell, of which he became cashier. In 1912 the institution was converted into the Haskell National Bank and in 1918 he was chosen president, while by Harsha, a well known financier of Muskogee county, was made cashier, Mr. Capps having previously disposed of his interest in the First National Bank of Porter. V. S. Cameron, formerly cashier, is now serving as vice president of the Haskell National Bank, which occupies its own building and is capitalized for fifty thousand dollars, while its deposits will average three hundred thousand dollars. Thoroughly understanding modern finance, Mr. Capps has labored effectively to broaden the scope of the institution of which he is the head, manifesting sound judgment in extending the credit of the bank and at all times tempering aggressiveness with a safe conservatism. Broadening the scope of his activities, he has become the owner of good residential property in Muskogee, has made profitable investments in oil lands in this vicinity and is extensively interested in agriculture, owning eight farms which are situated in three different counties.
In April, 1904, Mr. Capps was united in marriage to Miss Cora Griffith and they have become the parents of one child, Velma M., who was born February 2; 1905. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and a democrat in his political views. He has ever taken a deep and helpful interest in public affairs and for four years served as a member of the city council of Haskell, while for an equal period he was one of the school board, rendering valuable and effective service in both connections. Fraternally he is identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks at Muskogee and he is connected with the Masonic lodge at Haskell, the consistory at McAlester and the Shrine at Muskogee. The word fail has never found a place in his vocabulary. He has carried forward to successful completion whatever he has under-taken, and his labors have ever been of a character that have contributed to public progress as well as to individual prosperity. His life record is one in which notable business ability and the recognition and utilization of opportunity are well balanced forces, and he ranks with the leading financiers of northeastern Oklahoma.