P. A. Clark, coal and farm machinery was born in Otsego County, N. Y. Came to Decatur, Ill. In 1861, attended the State Normal School of Bloomington; also engaged in teaching. Graduated from that institution in 1866. He continued teaching till 1868, when he came to Fremont, Neb. Was engaged in insurance and implement business about two years. In the spring of 1870, returned to Bureau County. Taught school there about two years. He then went to Chicago, and sold school furniture about three years. He then removed to Peoria; was traveling partner in a wholesale drug and spice house three years. In 1878, came to Omaha; was engaged in the same business one year. In 1879, came to Madison, where he has since been engaged in his present business. He has been County Surveyor of Madison County. Is now Assessor of Union Creek Precinct. He owns the most of an eighty in the midst of the thriving town of Madison, and was a prime mover in acquiring the present railroad, to enhance his possessions.