Alsea Indians

Alsea Indians. A corruption of Älsé, their own name, meaning unknown. Also called:

  • Kûnis’tûnnĕ, Chastacosta name.
  • Päifan amím, Luckiamute Kalapuya name.
  • Si ni’-tĕ-lĕ tunnĕ, Naltunne name, meaning “flatheads.”
  • Tcha yáχo amim, Luckiamute Kalapuya name.
  • Tĕhayesatlu, Nestucca name.

Alsea Connections. The Alsea belonged to the Yakonan linguistic stock.

Alsea Location. On Alsea River and Bay.

Alsea Villages

  • Chiink, on the south side of Alsea River.
  • Kakhtshanwaish, on the north side of Alsea River.
  • Kalbusht, on the lower course of Alsea River.
  • Kauhuk, on the south side of Alsea River.
  • Kaukhwan, on the north side of Alsea River at Beaver Creek.
  • Khlimkwaish, on the south side of Alsea River.
  • Khlokhwaiyutslu, on the north side of Alsea River.
  • Kutauwa, on the north side of Alsea River at its mouth.
  • Kwamk, on the south side of Alsea River.
  • Kwulisit, on the south side of Alsea River.
  • Kyamaisu, on the north side of Alsea River at its mouth.
  • Panit, on the south side of Alsea River.
  • Shiuwauk, on the north side of Alsea River.
  • Skhakhwaiyutslu, on the south side of Alsea River.
  • Tachuwit, on the north side of Alsea River.
  • Thlekuhweyuk, on the south side of Alsea River.
  • Thlekushauk, on the south side of Alsea River.

Alsea Population. Mooney (1928) estimates the number of Indians belonging to the Yakonan stock at 6,000 in 1780. The census of 1910 returned 29 Indians under this name, and that of 1930 only 9 under the entire Yakonan stock.

Connection in which the Alsea Indians have become noted. Alsea or Alsea River, Alsea Bay and the village of Alsea, Benton County, Oreg., preserve the name of the Alsea Indians.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Topics:
Alsea, Yakonan,

Collection:
Swanton, John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin 145. Washington DC: US Government Printing Office. 1953.

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top