Gas From Car Brings Death To McCullough
Frank McCullough, retired farmer of Haines, was killed by monoxide gas from an automobile in the garage at his home there shortly before noon last Friday. He is said to have been in the closed garage about ten minutes when found by Fred Shanklin, who has been living at the McCullough home all winter. Shanklin heard the car running in the garage and opened the doors to find McCullough dead. Mr. McCullough has been suffering from heart trouble for some time.
Mr. McCullough was born in Shelby County, Missouri, January 26, 1865. He crossed the plains in 1881 and located in Baker county, where he lived continuously until his death. Mr. McCullough, who owned several ranches in the county, lived on a farm in the Muddy Creek section. He moved to Haines 15 years ago. He was a member of the Moose lodge in Baker.
Mr. McCullough was married to Hester Ann Moore in Weiser October 18, 1886. He is survived by his widow; a daughter, Mrs. Faitha Waltz of Haines; two sons, Ancel of Haines and Elwood of Los Angeles; two brothers, Harvey of Haines and Charles of Bridgeport; and three sisters, Mrs. Emma Cox of Haines, Mrs. Dora Fosnot of Salem, and Mrs. Belle Newles of Kansas.
The body was taken to the West and company parlors at Baker.
A very large crowd attended the funeral which was held at the family residence Sunday with Rev. Frank B. Gigliotti of the Presbyterian church, Baker, officiating. The service at the grave was held under the auspices of the Moose lodge of Baker. Interment was in the Haines cemetery.
North Powder News – Oregon Trail Weekly
Feb. 20, 1931
Transcribed by Charlotte Carper