One of the alert and enterprising business men of Baron, Oklahoma, is Frank S. Howard, who was born near Wauhillau, now in Adair County on the 30th, of January 1873. His father Frank Howard, was born in Bridgeport, Connecticut, on the 26th of November, 1840, and removed to Indian Territory in 1868 founding the town of Baron. In 1870 he was united in marriage to Sallie Starr, a daughter of Noon and Delilah Starr, the Starr family being one of the oldest Cherokee families in this section of the country. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Howard two children were born: Ollie, who is the wife of Bry Dillon; and Frank S., whose name initiates this review. On the 15th of April, 1877, occurred the demise of Mrs. Howard and in 1880 Mr. Howard was again married, Miss Josephine Landrum, a daughter of Dove Lan-drum, becoming his wife. One child was born to the second union, Josephine, who is now Mrs. Andrew Rogers of Fort Gibson. For some time before establishing the town of Baron, Mr. Howard resided in Claremont and he was the first postmaster at that place.
In the acquirement of an education Frank S. Howard attended the schools of the Cherokee Nation and later enrolled as a student in the high school at Joplin, Missouri. After putting his text-books aside he engaged in farming near Miami, which land he still owns, and he followed agricultural pursuits with a great amount of success for some fifteen years. Subsequently he came to Baron, where he entered the general mercantile business and he has since been active along that line. He is likewise prominent in financial circles, being President of the Guaranty Bank at Watts and a director in the Peoples Bank at Westville. For four years, from 1911 to 1915, he was chairman of the County commissioners of Adair County.
In 1895 was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Howard to Miss Callie Allen, a daughter of F. F. and Sarah Allen, who resided near Miami. Mrs. Howard died in 1899 being survived by two children: Catherine, now Mrs. John Crass of Tulsa; and Manila Dewey, a resident of Port Arthur, Texas. In May, 1901, Mr. Howard was again married, Miss Ella B. Clyne, a daughter of John and Jennie Clyne of Baron, becoming his wife. The Clynes are one of the oldest and most prominent families in this section of the country. To the second union four children have been born Sallie, now Mrs. Lawrence C. Ross of Tahlequah; Ella May, fourteen years of age; Grover Franklin, twelve years of age; and Edward Starr, age ten years. Mrs. Howard is now postmistress of Baron, having succeeded her husband. Mr. Baron held that office for several terms but was forced to give it up in order to devote terms but was forced to give it up in order to devote his entire time and attention to his business interests.
Since attaining his majority Mr. Howard has given his political allegiance to the Democratic Party, in the activities of which he has taken a prominent part. His religious faith is that of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and fraternally he is identified with the Elks and the Masons. During the World war Mr. Howard was chairman of the War Savings Stamps campaign of Adair County, superintended the Fourth Red Cross drive, also the Liberty Loan drives and was a member of the board of examiners. Mr. Howard is one of Baron’s representative citizens and is never too busy to aid any movement for public development and improvement. He has attained gratifying success in his mercantile business and is conceded to be one of the leading merchants of Adair County.