R.B. Hillas, dealer in general merchandise, was born in Vt. in 1836; moved to Detroit, Mich., at an early age. He enlisted in the 19th Ill. Inft.; was with the Army of the Cumberland, under Generals. Sherman and Thomas; was discharged in 1865; went to Chicago and was engaged in the house of J. V. Farwell & Co.; in 1876 removed to Dunlap, Ia., and engaged in his present business, which was the first business house established in the town. The establishment was destroyed by fire in 1873. His present store building was erected in 1878, is filled with a fine stock of goods, and has merchant tailoring in connection. He has been a member of the city council several years.