Marshall Bartholomew [middle name is really Burr as he was named after his father] Lee was born in Bartholomew County, Indiana, on May 9, 1850, [Headstone says he was born October 14] and came to Mahaska County with his parents in 1851. He was one of eleven children and when about five years of age his father died. He grew to manhood on the home place south of town, doing his share of the labor on the farm necessary to conduct it successfully. On May 9, 1875, he was married to Miss Hannah Wolfe. Soon after his marriage he bought an eighty-acre farm near the home place on which he moved. Later he moved to near Kirkville, where he conducted a dairy during the time that place was a prosperous mining camp. He remained there about two years, when he returned to Mahaska County, where he has since resided. He was successful on the farm and acquired ownership of 295 acres of the best land in the county.
On the farm his six children were born, all of whom are living except one that died in infancy. They are Mrs. Ora E. Newell of Fremont, A. N. Lee of Salem, MO., A. B. Lee of Carthage, SD, C. E. Lee of Albia, Iowa, and B. E. Lee of Milton, Iowa. On February 1, 1900, he purchased the furniture and undertaking business of P. Ehrenhard and moved to Fremont to take personal charge of it. Later he took his son A. B. in partnership with him and the firm was M. B. Lee & Son. The younger Lee went to Dakota two years ago and B. E. Lee took the interest of A. B. In June Mr. Lee sold the furniture business and building, owing to his failing health, since which time he has been taking life easy. Prior to his moving to town, he was an extensive buyer of cattle and hogs and continued it for sometime after moving to Fremont.
He united with the M. E. Church in Kirkville, Iowa in 1876 and has been identified with it ever since that time, giving it liberal financial support. He belonged to the Odd Fellows and the Woodmen of the World lodges, being a member of both orders for a number of years. In politics he was a regular republican and has been prominent in political affairs ever since he became of age. He served several terms as township trustee and was a member of the Fremont school board for two terms. He was always a delegate to the county conventions and usually was chosen a delegate to the state or congressional conventions. He could always be counted upon to be on the right side and everyone knew just where he stood on all matters political.
Mr. Lee was a man of the strictest integrity, sound judgment and lived a most useful life. He was thoroughly a home man and lived for his family. He began when the children were young to teach them to work and to do right. No family was ever raised under more intelligent or more insistent moral teachings than the Lee children. And when the boys grew up and wanted to start out for themselves the father was always ready to help them and give them a good start. He wanted to do it and he did, and it was a great satisfaction to him in his declining days to know that each one of his boys now had a home of his own and was doing well.
He died at his home in Fremont on Tuesday, September 19, 1911, aged 60 years, 11 months and 5 days. He is survived by his widow, five children, four grandchildren, one brother, J. M. Lee of Kingfisher, Okla., and one sister, Mrs. L. A. Vogler of Hope, Indiana. The funeral occurred at the home Thursday afternoon at two o’clock, the services being conducted by the Rev. George Filmer, of the M. E. Church. Internment was made in the Cedar Township Cemetery, the Odd Fellows having charge of the service at the grave. The floral offerings were beautiful and profuse, and the funeral was the largest ever held in Fremont, friends from all part of this and Wapello County coming to pay their last respects to one whom they held in the highest esteem. During the funeral hour the stores were closed and the schools were dismissed in honor of his memory.
The family have the deep sympathy of all of their sad bereavement. Those from a distance who attended the funeral were: Mr. and Mrs. A. N. Lee of Salem, MO; Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Lee of Carthage, SD; Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Lee of Albia; Mr. and Mrs. B. E. Lee of Milton; Mrs. Geo. Bloom of LaPlata, MO; I. W. Everson of Chillicothe, MO; Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Goehring, Harry Harker, Chas. Sullivan, and E. W. Phillipe of Ottumwa; Mr. and Mrs. George Watts, Mr. and Mrs. John Watts and Chas. Ott of Fredrick; Dr. and Mrs. F. E. Lawson of Highland Center, and A. W. Hine of Albia. [Pictured below, third man from left.]
Contributed by: Shelli Steedman