HENRY P. HARDIE. Among the capable public officials of Madison County who are discharging the duties of high public positions with fidelity and efficiency, none is held in higher esteem than Henry P, Hardie, the postmaster of Anderson, a man who has long been identified with the business interests of the city. He is a native of England, born at Woolwich in County Kent, in February, 1868. His parents were Henry and Mary (Johnson) Hardie, natives of England, the former being for a number of years employed in the Illinois Steel Company’s works at Joliet, Illinois. He came to Anderson in 1889 and secured employment in the steel and nail works here, continuing with that company until his death, in 1905. His widow still survives, and now makes her home in Anderson.
Henry P. Hardie was brought to the United States by his parents when still a child, and his education was secured in the public and high schools of Joliet, Illinois. After his graduation from the latter he was employed for five years in the steel mills at Joliet. In 1889 he came to Anderson and was made foreman of the shipping department of the rolling mill, a position which he held for eleven years. In 1900 he became the bookkeeper for the Terre Haute Brewing Company, a position which he continued to fill for six years, then b coming assistant manager of the business. In 1906 he was appointed city comptroller of the city of Anderson, under Mayor J. H. Terhune, and acted in that capacity for three years, and Mr. Terhune then dying Mr. Hardie by virtue of his office became mayor and filled out the unexpired term of one year. On the completion of his term as mayor he embarked in the real estate and fire insurance business with a Mr. Luse, under the firm style of Luse & Hardie, and this association has continued with mutual success to the present time. Mr. Hardie assumed his duties as postmaster of Anderson in 1912, for a term of four years, and has been rendering his city excellent service in the handling of the mails. A courteous, obliging official, with a high conception of the duties of public service, he has made an excellent record, and Anderson has had no more popular public servant. For eight years he also served as police commissioner, under two appointments by Governor Mount, and a third under Governor Durbin. He is a Republican in his political views, but he has friends among all political parties.
On the 14th of October, 1889, Mr. Hardie was united in marriage with Miss Susan Harris, of Anderson, a daughter of Richard Harris, an old and honored resident of this city and who for many years was manager of the Steel Wire and Nail Works. One son has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Hardie, Harry R., who is now engaged in the real estate and insurance business in this city. Mr. Hardie has for a number of years been prominent in Masonry, and now holds membership in Mt. Moriah Lodge, N0. 77, A. F. & A. M.; Anderson Chapter, No. 52, R. A. M.; Anderson Commandery, No. 32, K. T.; and Murat Temple, A. A. 0. N. M. S., Indianapolis. Tie is also a member of Anderson Lodge, No. 209, B. P. 0. E., and Banner Lodge, No. 416, K. Of P. He is a member of the First Church of Christ, Scientist, of Anderson.