Elmore W. Snyder. A resident of Kansas since 1878, and with possibly one exception the oldest living bank president in the state, Elmore W. Snyder, president of the Manufacturers National Bank of Leavenworth, had been actively identified with the commercial and financial history of Kansas for nearly forty years. He was born in the Village of Red Creek, Wayne County, New York, November 23, 1850. Jacob Snyder, his great-grandfather, settled in that section of York State in pioneer times and operated a grist mill for many years. His grandfather, Amos Snyder, was there reared, engaged in farming, practiced law and served as judge of Wayne County.
James W. Snyder, father of Elmore W. Snyder, was born and reared in Wayne County, New York. He achieved prominence during the Civil war by recruiting Company A, Ninth New York Heavy Artillery, of which he was elected captain, and after serving two and one-half years was honorably discharged as colonel of his regiment. Colonel Snyder followed farming and grain buying principally during his active career, and when Oklahoma lands were thrown open for white settlement, joined the rush, although then well advanced in years, and succeeded in securing a claim where now stands the City of Guthrie. He took an active part in the early history of that city and for a period served as city treasurer. In his later life he moved to Wichita, Kansas, where he lived, honored and respected, until his death, in October, 1914. To his marriage with Sarah A. O’Neill, four children were born, of whom there are two now living: Chester, of Topeka; and Elmore W., of Leavenworth.
Elmore W. Snyder was reared in the locality where he was born and secured his education in the academy at Red Creek. At the age of nineteen years he left home and was employed for a time as clerk and bookkeeper in a store at Rochester, New York, from which city he went to Grundy County, Illinois, and there spent two years, keeping books for a grain and lumber concern. While living there, he made a return trip to the East, and in October, 1877, at Brandon, Vermont, was married to Miss Fannie M. Benson. The year following this event, he moved to Clifton, Washington County, Kansas, where he embarked in grain buying and operating a bank, of which he was the president, and later, with his brother, who had come on from the East, established other banks at Linn and Palmer, in Washington County, although Mr. Snyder did not give up his grain business. In 1883 he located at Leavenworth, which city had since continued to be his home and the center of his successful business and financial activities. For five years after his arrival Mr. Snyder gave the principal part of his attention to grain buying, but directly after the organization of the Manufacturers National Bank became president of that organization and had continued to serve in that capacity ever since,–a period of over twenty-eight years. Largely through his sound ability, foresight and acumen, the Manufacturers National Bank of Leavenworth had become one of the foremost banking institutions of Kansas. This is a national, state, county and city depository, with a capital of $100,000, and a surplus of $90,000. It had modern safe deposit vaults, with boxes for rent, and interest is paid on savings accounts. Its officers are as follows: E. W. Snyder, president; C. W. Snyder, vice president; J. H. Atwood, vice president; Charles E. Snyder, cashier; and J. C. Walker, assistant cashier. The board of directors is composed of the following, all well known names at Leavenworth: H. W. Mehl, John H. Atwood, E. W. Snyder, Louis Vanderschmidt, A. M. Geiger, Charles E. Snyder, O. P. Lambert, W. A. Tholen and C. W. Snyder. The following is a condensed statement of the condition of the bank at the close of business, September 12, 1916: Resources: Loans and discounts, $590,283.50; overdrafts, none; U. S. bonds, at par, $101,000; other bonds, $387,750; stock in Federal Reserve Bank, $5,400; bank building, furniture and fixtures, $57,000; safe deposit vaults, $10,000; cash and sight exchange, $305,618.58. Liabilities: Capital stock, $100,000; surplus and profits, $93,716.73; circulation, $100,000; deposits, $1,163,335.35.
While banking had been the principal occupation of Mr. Snyder, he had also had much to do with other important endeavors. With others, in 1882, he perfected the organization that built the bridge over the Missouri River at Leavenworth. In politics, he is a republican, but aside from discharging the duties of American citizenship by voting had had but little to do with politics. He is a Knight Templar of the Masonic fraternity, and for many years had served as treasurer of Abdallah Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. Mr. and Mrs. Snyder are the parents of two sons: Charles E. and Ira Benson. The former had represented his county with much credit as a member of the Kansas Legislature, and is the present cashier of the Manufacturers National Bank; the latter is engaged in mercantile pursuits in Chicago.
Charles E. Snyder was born at Gardner, Illinois, August 25, 1878, and when three months old was brought to Kansas by his parents. He was educated in the public schools of Leavenworth and at Phillips’ Academy, Andover, Massachusetts, and at the age of seventeen years entered the offices of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, at St. Joseph, Missouri, in a clerical capacity. He later became superintendent of the Leavenworth Terminal Railway and Bridge Company, at Leavenworth, and afterwards became a part owner of this corporation. Succeeding this he became a clerk in the Manufacturers National Bank, and ever since had been connected with the institution, having filled every subordinate position, until in 1901 he was elected cashier, a position which he still retains. During this period he had been interested in various other lines of business, and now had an interest in the Magnet Grocery Company, the Home Riverside Coal Company, and other business houses.
Fraternally, Mr. Snyder belongs to the Knights of Pythias, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Knights and Ladies of Security, the Fraternal Aid Union, the Homesteaders, the Modern Woodmen of America, the Woodmen of the World, the Loyal Order of Moose, the Fraternal Order of Eagles, the Brotherhood of American Yeomen and the Loyal Legion. He is a republican in politics, and, after serving in the lower house of the State Legislature in the sessions of 1907 and 1909, was elected to the Kansas State Senate in 1916. In the last-named year he became a member of the Leavenworth Board of Education.
Mr. Snyder was married October 17, 1900, to Miss Beulah Newell, of St. Joseph, Missouri, and they are the parents of three sons, namely: Elmore W., Jr., James N. and Charles E., Jr.