D. H. Calvert, dealer in drugs and medicines, Charleston; is a native of Platte Co., Mo.; he was born on the 28th of February 1841; he was raised on a farm, and at about the age of 16 years, entered Pleasant Ridge College in his native town, where he graduated in 1861; he then read law with Hon. E. H. Norton, the present Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Missouri; in 1867, he went to Frankfort, Ky., and continued his law studies with Judge Alvin Duval, and, in 1868, entered the Law Department of the University of Louisville, Ky., graduating in 1869; he came to Charleston the same year, and entered upon the practice of his profession; in 1872, he was elected City Attorney; after practicing three years, he was compelled by ill health to abandon the law and engage in other business; he followed merchant milling for some two years, and, in 1876, engaged in his present business. He was married July 5, 1870, to Miss S. B. Chambers, a daughter of T. G. Chambers, a prominent citizen of Charleston, and has one child – George C. Calvert.