Judge Anthony Cowart Pate was a lineal descendant of Sir John Pate Baron of Leicestershire, England, whose son, Major’ Thomas Pate, emigrated to America in 1672, settling in Gloucester County, Virginia. His son, Matthew, married Anne Reade, and their son, Jacob, married Zilla Broach, whose son, Jacob, was the father of John. John married Nancy Cowart in 1794. Their son, Redding, born in 1796, married Elizabeth Miller in 1829. Both of their grandfathers were from North Carolina and soldiers in the Revolutionary War. Their children were John Redding and Anthony Cowart. Anthony was born in Washington County, Georgia, near Sandersville, April 11, 1836, and died in Hawkinsville, Georgia, February 14, 1916. He attended the Sandersville school, then studied law, was admitted to the bar in 1857 before Judge Robert Hardman of the Ocmulgee Circuit, and practiced until the war. He served in a company of Georgia volunteer infantry under General Joe Johnston. In 1866 he came to Hawkinsville and became associated with Judge L. C. Ryan. On the establishment of Oconee Circuit in 1872 Judge Pate was appointed judge by Governor Smith, which office he held thirteen years. In 1838 he married Martha Jane, daughter of Thully Williamson and Catherine Fleming, of Pulaski County. There were Catherine, Georgia and Mattie (deceased). Catherine, the first child, was educated at Wesleyan College, Macon, Georgia, and married Dr. N. P. Jelks in 1892 (see his sketch). Their children were Pate Anthony, born on November 4, 1894, who was the first volunteer from Pulaski County to serve in the World War, and who died on July 12, 1925. Georgia attended G. S. C. W., Milledgeville, Georgia. She married David Patrick MacGriff, cashier of the Planters Bank, July 10, 1921. Their children are Katherine and David Patrick, Jr. Georgia, second child of Judge Pate, married T. S. Lewis. After his death she married J. P. Watson.