This series includes originals of Form 5-138 describing children transferred from an agency to Chilocco Indian School. The statement is signed by the agent and certified by the physician of the home agency of the children. Information about children includes Indian name, English name, blood degree, nation, band, father’s name and rank, whether parents are living or dead, child’s sex, age, height, weight, and remarks.
Topic: Indian School
Notwithstanding the fact that Norwich had for many years within its borders a collegiate institution of its own, founded and directed by its most distinguished son, the relations of their people towards Dartmouth College on the opposite bank of the Connecticut were always intimate and friendly.
The pagan element, as a general rule, is opposed to education. Exceptions are sometimes found. Families with small means, unwilling to make any effort to change their condition, claim that they need their children for homework. Even when they enter them at the beginning of the term, they do not enforce their attendance. The children, to a large extent, inherit careless, sluggish, indolent natures, and a lazy spirit. In some respects their capacities are above the average standard of the white people. They are more uniformly good penmen, good musicians, and excel in drawing, but the statements of the Indians
The following dataset is a list of students in the Choctaw Nation schools during the class year of 1904. It was compiled by Ruthie McLillan and provided to AccessGenealogy for publication. A day school curriculum included subjects such as English, math, history, drawing and composition. Students would often produce a variety of weekly and monthly newspapers and other publications that were considered part of their “industrial training,” or preparing for work in the larger economy. These featured their artwork and writing. Students also learned trade and work skills, such as artisan and domestic crafts, which were considered useful at the
Gaine School Boiling Spring School Teacher: Robert E. Lee (fullblood Choctaw) Local Trustee: Jackson James (fullblood Choctaw) Dunlap School Teacher: E.P. Sullivan (white) Local Trustee: Lum Dunlap (intermarried white) Featherston School Teacher: May Featherston (white) Local Trustee: L.C. Featherston (intermarried white) Mountain Station School Teacher: H.J. Sexton (fullblood Choctaw) Local Trustee: Houston Nelson (fullblood Choctaw) Vireton School Teacher: R.H. Burrows (white) Local Trustee: Osburn White (fullblood Choctaw) White Oak School Teacher: No Name Listed (white) Local Trustee: Mike Hicks (fullblood Choctaw) San Bois County Bethel School Teacher: Belle Green Local Trustee: William Martin (fullblood Choctaw) Brooken School Teacher: Miss Ida
The plat of ground inclosed by our buildings was rectangular, the sides of which were one hundred feet in length. In the center of this square a post or column was firmly planted, upon the upper end of which a bell was hung. In the winter season the bell was rung at five o’clock, and in the summer at sunrise, as the signal for rising. In one hour after the first bell the second bell was rung as the signal for assembling in the chapel for family worship, which consisted of the reading of the Scriptures, singing, and prayer. From
On the ninth day of February, 1844, the school opened with six students from the Pushmataha district; they presented certificates of appointment signed by J. Folsom, chief, and S. Jones, Trustee. On the following day a number of pupils came from the Puckchenubbee district with certificates signed by James Fletcher, chief, and P. P. Pitchlynn, Trustee; also from the Moshulatubbee district, with certificates from Nat Folsom, chief, and Thomson M’Kenny, Trustee. In a few days we had received thirty pupils into the school to be clothed, fed, and taught. In addition to these we had consented to teach all the
On the first day of October, 1844, the second session of the Academy opened with about thirty students in attendance, a few not having yet returned. Mr. Brigham was employed as an assistant teacher. He was an Irishman, having been born and educated in the city of Dublin, and was, by profession, a druggist. His education was good; he was intelligent and gentlemanly and had once been a member of the Presbyterian Church. Our school was full, not one of the old pupils failing to return. They manifested very great pleasure at meeting us and in getting back to the
It will be remembered that at the session of the General conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in the month of May, 1840, four Secretaries, or agents, were appointed to serve under the direction of the Missionary Board of our Church, Rev. E. R. Ames was appointed to the western portion of the work. The Secretaries were expected to travel extensively, to address the Churches on the subject of missions, to labor to arouse the people to a sense of their duty, to learn the wants of the destitute, and to devise means for the support of such new missions
A transcription of Gum Springs Indian School in Mississippi in 1916, taken by John T. Reeves, Special Supervisor, Indian Service.