Being a history of the descendants of Richard Dexter of Malden, Massachusetts, from the notes of John Haven Dexter and original researches. Richard Dexter, who was admitted an inhabitant of Boston (New England), Feb. 28, 1642, came from within ten miles of the town of Slane, Co. Meath, Ireland, and belonged to a branch of that family of Dexter who were descendants of Richard de Excester, the Lord Justice of Ireland. He, with his wife Bridget, and three or more children, fled to England from the great Irish Massacre of the Protestants which commenced Oct. 27, 1641. When Richard Dexter and family left England and by what vessel, we are unable to state, but he could not have remained there long, as we know he was living at Boston prior to Feb. 28, 1642.
The Kedzies Family Genealogy tells of the migration of the Kedzie family from Scotland to this country, and gives a list of their relatives and descendants. The list of relatives and descendants provides names, dates and places of birth, marriages, occupations and deaths, so far as they could ascertain.
Luedders’ historical and pictorial city directory of Angola, Indiana for the year 1923, containing an historical compilation of items of local interest, a complete canvass of names in the city, which includes every member of the family, college students, families on rural lines, directory of officers of county, city, lodges, churches, societies, a directory of streets, and a classified business directory.
Malcolm M. Gillis, 88, longtime Kittitas resident, died Thursday at the Gold Leaf Nursing Home [died March 6, 1975]. He was born May 28, 1886 in North Dakota. He came to the Ellensburg area in 1915. He and Marjorie Cooke were married in 1917 at Ellensburg. They farmed in the valley until 1936. They built their home in Kittitas and he worked as a carpenter until his retirement in the late 1950’s. He assisted with construction of the Kittitas Community Church, of which he was a member. In addition to his wife Marjorie, he is survived by a son, M.
John D., son of Robert Gillis, was born in Hebron, Washington county, New York, in 1776. He settled in Victor where he owned a farm of one hundred and twenty-five acres. He was a blacksmith by trade, and had a shop in which he followed this business until 180. In politics he was a Democrat, in religion a Methodist. He died in May, 1873. nearly a hundred years old. His brother, James Gillis, was a member of congress, and father of James Gillis, of the United States navy. He married Mary Smith, who died in 1864. Children : Margaret; Robert
John Smith, son of John D. Gillis, was born in Argyle, Washington county, New York, July 17, 1823, died October 10, 1896. He came with his parents to Victor, New York, in 1826. He was educated in the public schools, and always followed farming. He married, December 30, 1847, Sarah, daughter of William and Catherine (McKinley) Wells. Children: 1. William W., born November 20, 1848, graduated from Cornell College in 1874, became editor and proprietor of the Victor Herald, a weekly newspaper; he died April 10, 1898; married Harriet S. Bundy, of Rochester, and had one child, who died young.
John D. (2), son of John Smith Gillis, was born in Victor, October 12, 1859. He attended the district schools of Victor village, and the Canandaigua Academy. During his boyhood and afterward until the year 1889 he worked with his father on the homestead. He and his brother, Alexander P., then took charge of the homestead and continued until 1902 when the farm was divided. His brother had the house and the north part and he had the south part of the homestead. In the spring of 1910 he sold the farm to John H. Croft, and he now (1910)