In this volume will be found a record of many whose lives are worthy the imitation of coming generations. It tells how some, commencing life in poverty, by industry and economy have accumulated wealth. It tells how others, with limited advantages for securing an education, have become learned men and women, with an influence extending throughout the length and breadth of the land. It tells of men who have risen from the lower walks of life to eminence as statesmen, and whose names have become famous. It tells of those in every walk in life who have striven to succeed,
S. H. Ashmore, farmer and stock-raiser; P.O. Kansas; born in Butler Co., Ky., Jan. 29, 1822; he emigrated with his parents when quite young and located in Clark Co., Ill., about the year 1826, where he lived until about 1828, when he removed to Coles Co., and located before the organization of the township in what is now known as Ashmore Tp., where he lived until 1836, when he located in East Oakland Tp., where he has since lived. He lived with his parents until 23 years of age, at which time he married, and renting a farm, commenced farming
W. J. Ashmore, dealer in boots and shoes (firm of Ashmore & Mitchell), Charleston; was born in Coles Co., Ill., May 15, 1853; he is the youngest son of Samuel C. Ashmore, who came to Coles Co. among the early settlers, and entered a large tract of Government land, and when Douglas Co. was formed, the line passed through the middle of his land; he was a prominent farmer and stock-raiser, and for many years held the office of Justice of the Peace. He died in 1855; his widow Sarah Ashmore and six children still surviving. The son, W. J.
Capt. James M. Ashmore, Charleston; is a native of Coles Co.; he is a son of Hezekiah J. Ashmore, one of the pioneers of the county, who was born in Kentucky, Sept. 30, 1802, and came to Coles Co. with his family, consisting at that time of a wife and two children, in 1830, and settled in the northeast part of the county, in what is now Oakland Tp.; in 1836, he removed to the eastern part the county, and for him the town of Ashmore was named, as well as the village of that name, which he laid out
Harvey B. Ashmore, farmer and stock-raiser; P. O. Ashmore; was born in this township Nov. 1, 1849, being a son of Hezekiah J. and Elizabeth Ashmore. When about 15 years old, he engaged in mercantile business in Ashmore, in which he continued about two years. He then engaged in dealing in stock, which he has followed ever since. In 1871, he settled on his present farm adjoining the village of Ashmore, containing 510 acres of land, with fine improvements. He also owns another farm of 80 acres two and a half miles northwest of the village. Mr. Ashmore is largely
Orlando F. Ashmore, son of Hezekiah and Elizabeth Ashmore, was born about two and a half miles northwest of the village of Ashmore, June 10, 1845. He was raised on the farm until he was of age, and then engaged in the grocery business in Ashmore, and has been engaged alternately in the grocery and dry goods business until a short time ago. He was married Oct. 12, 1865, to Miss Margaret J. Barnett, a daughter of James Barnett of Lincoln Co., Ky. She was born near Stanford, in that county, Nov. 27, 1842. They have had five children, three
Hezekiah J. Ashmore, deceased, late of Ashmore, and for whom the township and village was named, was born in Kentucky Sept. 30, 1802; he was a son of Samuel and Letitia (Guthrie) Ashmore; his parents removed to Murray Co., Tenn., when he was a child, and when he was about 12 years old to Illinois, settling on the Wabash River, about twelve miles south of Terre Haute. He was married May 24, 1825, to Miss Elizabeth Black, a daughter of John Black; she was born in Muhlenburg Co., Ky., Dec. 10, 1807, and came at the age of 4 years