Charles W. Brown. Among the enterprising young men who have left good homes and friends and came to Missouri, and located in Daviess county, appears the name of Charles W. Keown, of Salem, the subject of this sketch. He was born in the town of Marine, Madison county, Illinois, September 30, 1861. He is the son of Emsley and Anna M. Keown. Mr. Keown attended the public schools of his native town until he was far enough advanced in his studies to enter college, then entered the Eureka College, at Eureka, Illinois, and remained one term, then went to Blackburn University, at Carlinville, Illinois, and there completed his education. In the fall of 1881, he came to Daviess county, seeking a business location, and for that purpose visited several towns and finally chose Salem for his future home, and purchased a half interest in a hardware store and building from his cousin, H. T. Keown. The firm of Keown & Co., carry a large stock of hardware, and also a good assortment of farming implements.