Biography of George Gibert Tait

Vice-president of Tait Brothers, the large Springfield concern dealing in milk, cream, condensed milk and ice cream, is the third son of James and Mary Laurentine (Decatur) Tait. He was born in Chicopee, Massachusetts, November 5, 1872, and received his education in the schools of his native city. He was graduated from the grammar school and attended the high school for three years. Upon the completion of his studies he entered the employ of his uncle, George C. Tait, a milk dealer, with whom his brother, Harry J., was employed already, and has risen through successive posts to the vice-presidency which he occupies to-day. Mr. Tait finds time amid his manifold duties and responsibilities to show his public spirit, and to take an active part in political affairs. He is a supporter of the Republican party and keeps in close touch with all its work. He has given efficient aid in its councils as well as in the carrying out of its projects. For the last seven years he has served on the board of licensed commissioners, and he held this office until 1924. He also is widely known in fraternal and club circles, and is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and the Nayasset Club. Mr. Tait is popular among a large circle of friends and associates, who esteem him highly as a capable business man, a progressive citizen, a good comrade and a loyal friend.

Mr. Tait was married, November 7, 1921, to Julia W. Dowd, daughter of John J. Dowd, since dead; and Sarah K Dowd, of Springfield, and educated in the Central Street School. After graduation she entered the employ of R. G. Dun, where she remained about eight years; and became associated with the Massachusetts Mutual Fire Insurance Company. Mrs. George G. Tait died on July 7, 1923, and left beside her husband a sister and three brothers. The address of Mr. Tait is Cass and Linden streets, Springfield, Massachusetts.



Holland, Josiah Gilbert. History of Western Massachusetts Springfield: S. Bowles and company, 1855.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top