The Massachusetts Tax Valuation List of 1771 contains the names and descriptions of taxable property of nearly 38,000 individuals who resided in 152 Massachusetts towns in 1771
Location: Springfield Massachusetts
ASHLEY (New Bedford family). Among the first settlers of Rochester, Mass., and their families appear the names of Joseph Ashley and his wife Elizabeth and their children. There had settled at Springfield as early as 1639 Robert Ashley; and from the fact that many of the early settlers of Springfield were drawn from Roxbury by Pynchon, perhaps Mr. Ashley had been there previously a short time. One Thomas Ashley resided at Cape Ann (Gloucester) in 1639; he was admitted an inhabitant of Boston in 1658, and was probably the Thomas Ashley of Maine, 1654, who, says Savage, may have removed
CHARLES HOWARD, founder and president of the Howard & Poster Company, one of the largest and best known shoe manufacturing concerns in this Commonwealth, and an original promoter of the Brockton Agricultural Society, of which he is also president, is one of the foremost business men and citizens of Brockton, Plymouth Co., Mass., for over forty years continuously and prominently identified with the industrial and financial growth of that city. Mr. Howard was born Jan. 9, 1837, in North Bridgewater, now Brockton, eldest son of the late Charles and Lavina (Rounds) Howard, and a descendant of several of New England’s
The Anthony family of Bristol County Massachusetts descend from one John Anthony of Hampstead England who travelled in the Hercules to New England and settled in Rhode Island in 1634. This family, under the entrepreneurship of Edmund Anthony, became prominent publishers of many early Massachusetts papers, some of which were prominent in the establishment of the Republican Party and it’s causes.
A short history of the battles fought during King Philip’s War, including maps of the campaigns and New England Indian tribes.
William Leavitt Bennett, a prominent resident of Andover, was born in the town of Loudon, this State, January 16, 1837. His grandfather, Jeremiah Bennett, formerly of Kingston, accompanied Clough, journeyed from there to Loudon, carrying his luggage and implements on a hand-barrow. Having chosen a tract of timbered land favorably situated, he felled a few trees, and built a log hut. He had been a reed-maker by trade; but, after coming to Loudon, he devoted himself to clearing his land and to tilling the soil. He gradually placed it under cultivation; and, when he died, at the ripe age of
1. Darius Alanson2 Wood, son of Israel1 and Betsey (Pullen) Wood, b. Brattleboro, Vt., Oct. 9, 1830; m. Sept. 13, 1854, Sarah Adeline Moody, b. Landaff, N. H., Oct. 9, 1835, dau. of Moses and Betsey W. (Howe) Moody. He was employed in the U. S. Arsenal at Springfield, Mass. Divorced. After her divorce, Mrs. Wood res. in Sullivan on the Dauphin Spaulding 2nd place. A dau.: Gertrude Lenora3, b. Springfield, Aug. 18, 1855, d. at East Sullivan, Oct. 10, 1904; m. (1), June 27, 1876, Frank Myrick, b. Boston, Mass., Jan. 26, 1851, son of Oren Darius and Mary
Adams, George A., son of Gardner and Eunice R. (Darling) Adams, was born in Springfield, Hampden County, April 3, 1850. His early education was received in the public schools of Franklin, and in the private high school at Walpole. He fitted college in Dean Academy, Franklin, and entered Tufts in the class of 1873, but was unable to complete the course on account of a servere accident received in college. He taught school two years under Prof. L. L. Burrington, Goddard Seminary, Barre, Vt.; studied law and was admitted to the bar, May 8, 1873, at Dedham, Norfolk county; began
Aldrich, P. Emory, was born in New Salem, Franklin County. His ancestors came from England in 1635, residing at first in Dorchester and Braintree, and afterwards settling in Mendon, Worcester County. After obtaining his early education at the public schools, he fitted for college at the Shelburne Falls Academy, and in private study mastered a collegiate education. He studied law while engaged in teaching at the South, and later attended the Harvard law school. In 1845 he was admitted to the bar in Richmond, Va., but the following year returned to Massachusetts, and after studying for six months with Chapman,
Haskins, John Henry; roofing contractor; born, N. Wilbraham, Mass., 1843; son of Enoch C. and Mary M. Davis Haskins; educated, Chapman Academy, Ellington, Conn.; married, Springfield, Mass., 1865, Mary Carlisle; issue, eleven children; sergt. Co. A, 1st Conn. Cav., in the Civil War; in 1878, established roofing business in Cleveland, J. H. Haskins Roofing Co.; member Chamber of Industry, Association of Master Gravel and Slag Roofers of America; pres. board of trustees of Franklin Ave. M. E. Church; has been successful in his business.