Mrs. Henrietta Fulford (Wilson) Kinley. In the developing of the beautiful city of Topeka, Kansas, many people who had been born in other states took part and it is surprising how large a number were natives of Illinois. As a rule they were well educated and accustomed to the refinements of life and in their new surroundings their influence was progressive and beneficial. One of these families bore the name of Fulford, a name that became well known at Topeka and which is yet identified with the city’s best interests. A well known and highly esteemed member of this sterling old family is found in Mrs. Henrietta Fulford (Wilson) Kinley, residing at No. 1616 Polk Street, Topeka.
Mrs. Kinley was born in Canada and raised at Watseka, Iroquois County, Illinois. Her parents were Abel Fulford and wife, highly respected residents of Iroquois County. They were the parents of eight children and those who reached mature years were: Abel King, Jonathon, Elizabeth, Melissa, Catherine and Henrietta. Abel King Fulford died at Topeka, Kansas, at the age of sixty-seven years, in 1913. He enjoyed a large measure of public confidence and frequently was elected to city offices and was so highly esteemed personally that it was said that everyone was his friend. At one time he filled the office of street commissioner. More than forty years ago he built a house at No. 420 Clay Street and there he died. This house is the home of his brother, Jonathon Fulford. Elizabeth Fulford became the wife of John Gregory. Melissa was married first to Austin B. Lee, who died in 1906 and her second marriage was to Charles Nicely, a well known, substantial citizen of Wabaunsee County, Kansas, for some years but now of Topeka. He is a veteran of the Civil war. Catherine became the wife of Henry Bernard, now a prosperous farmer in Paulin, Kansas, and for many years an officer of the Topeka Police Department. The parents of the above family lived to the age of eighty-six years and died at Topeka. They were most worthy people and are remembered by their children with the tenderest affection.
Henrietta Fulford attended school in Iroquois County and remained under the paternal roof until her marriage with Robert B. Wilson. He belonged to a very prominent family of Champaign County, Illinois. Mr. Wilson died in 1912. They had a family of eleven children and the following survive: Charles, Ethel, Elmer R., Victor Hugo, Osborne, Glenn, Irvin and Harvey. Gilbert, Leonard and Bell died in childhood. Charles Wilson is a farmer in North Dakota. Ethel is the wife of John R. Wier, of Ashkum, Illinois. Elmer is a railroad man and lives at Rossville, Illinois. Victor Hugo is a member of Company B, Third Regiment Illinois National Guard and is now in camp on the Mexican border. Osborne is a resident of Watseka, Illinois. Irwin was graduated with the class of 1916 from the Watseka High School and will enter the state university at Champaign. He is a young man of great promise. Harvey is attending the home school.
In 1913 Mrs. Wilson was married to Evan Gale Kinley who was born on the Isle of Man. He came to the United States when seventeen years old and has made his own way in the world. He learned the wagon-building trade at Cleveland, Ohio, and from there came to Leavenworth, Kansas, in 1876. In 1885 he located at Topeka and for thirty years has conducted a business here that he has built up honorably. In 1909 the Ford Motor Car Company made him their district agent and, notwithstanding some adverse conditions in the business, he has done exceedingly well. He is a man of quiet manner and unassuming address, honorable in business and sincere in his friendly feeling for others and has a very wide circle of business and personal well wishers.