J. M. Leidhigh, of the firm of T. F. Leidigh & Co., dealers in general merchandise. They opened trade in Spear Ville in April 1878, with a stock of $1,800. They now carry an average stock of $10,000. Their store building was erected of stone in 1881 at a cost of $2,000. Size is 25×80 feet. They employ three men in the business. Mr. J. M. Leidigh is also extensively engaged in raising stock. He first came to Kansas in 1870, locating at St. Mary’s, and engaged in the lumber trade, and in 1872 moved to Hutchinson, Kan., where he engaged in the stock business until 1878. He was born in Cumberland County, Pa., December 14, 1842, and was raised and educated in that county. He followed agricultural pursuits and stock rising. He enlisted in August 1862, in Company F, One Hundred and Thirtieth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. He was wounded in the battle of Antietam and discharged in 1863. He re-enlisted in 1864 in Company F, Two Hundred and Seventh Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and was again wounded in front of Petersburg, when leading his Company. He was mustered out in June 1865. He was married in 1865 to Miss Kate A. Myers, of Cumberland County, Pa. They have four children, Dora M., Harry J., Florence L, and Emma F. He is a member of a Temperance organization and the Presbyterian Church.