H. W. STRATTON, the subject of this sketch, after a number of years spent in business in Ohio, was ordained to the ministry in 1866 over the same church of which his father had been pastor nearly a quarter of a century. Soon afterwards he began preaching in Kansas, continuing five years, and in 1871 came to Oregon, ministering to the Presbyterian and Congregational churches united at Albany. Leaving that field at the instance of his presbytery, he served a church as synodical missionary for one year, among other things organizing the first Presbyterian churches east of the Cascade Mountains at Weston and Walla Walla respectively. He also gathered and organized the first church of Whites at Boise, Idaho. He afterwards ministered to the First Presbyterian church at Seattle for more than two years. Subsequently he went to Spokane Falls, Washington Territory, and located a quarter section of land north of the river, securing thereby a share in the general prosperity of the region. His home is at Prospect Place, four miles north of town, overlooking the city and Spokane valley.
Mr. Stratton devotes his time principally to the cultivation of fruits and flowers, giving to the church such occasional service as he is able to render. His daughter, the wife of Honorable J.J. Brown, and two of his sons, live near him. His home is a delightful spot, being an intellectual as well as a finely established domestic center. Like all pioneers, Mr. Stratton has unbounded admiration for his home country, and unlimited faith in its future.