William Allen was born in Richmond, Va., in 1822; moved to McHenry County, Ill., in 1844, and engaged in blacksmithing. He went to California in 1849, and remained seventeen years. Three years of the time he was engaged in mining, and the remainder on a ranch. The steamboat landing in Tehama County, Cal., on the Sacramento River, known as Allen’s Landing, was named after Mr. Allen, for the reason of his owing the land a large wood-yard there. In 1868 he sold out and moved to Chicago, Ill., and engaged in business; removed to Fort Dodge, Ia., and was engaged in the mercantile business there for three years; then came to Sac City, and engaged in the same business, which he sold to George Parker in 1876. He owns considerable country and town property, and has retired from active business.