A. Akin, of the firm of Akin & Shulson, dealers in staple and fancy groceries, confectionery, etc., Chicago House, 4th St., Sioux City, Ia., was born in Otsego County, N.Y., March 8th, 1810. In 1827, he moved to Penn.; removed to Belvidere, Ill., in 1844; thence to Elgin, and from there to Chicago in 1852, where he served as justice of the peace and police magistrate for seven years, and also practiced law. He received a commission from President Lincoln to recruit. In 1864, he moved to Kansas, where he was for several years register in the U. S. land office in Augusta and Wichita; was postmaster for several years, and prosecuting attorney for Morris County. He then moved back to Chicago, and remained two years, after which he came to Sioux City, in 1878, and located permanently.