MARTIN M. BROWN, M. D. – The life work of Dr. Martin M.Brown has carried his name to wide significance, and in his present success he holds a leading position in medical and surgical practice in Western Massachusetts. Active in his profession for many years, and for thirty-three years a leading physician of North Adams, Dr. Brown has specialized within recent years in surgery, and is widely sought in this part of the State. A native of Vermont, and educated in a western institution, Dr. Brown is thoroughly representative of the best thought and achievement in his chosen profession. He is a son of Russell D. and Eliza (Millard) Brown. His father was a farmer and school teacher of Whitingham, Vermont, and for a number of years chairman of the Board of Selectmen of Whitingham, and was always a leading figure in progressive movements in the community. He died in 1917, at the age of eighty-three years.
Martin M. Brown was born in Jacksonville, Vermont, July 13, 1863. His education was begun in the public schools of Whitingham, and he later attended Drury High School, at North Adams, Massachusetts. Going to Chicago for his medical course, he entered Rush Medical College, from which he was graduated in 1888. His institutional experience was begun in the Presbyterian Hospital of Chicago, where he served as house physician and surgeon during the years 1888 to 1890, inclusive. Later for one year he had charge of the Surgical Hospital at Ironwood, Michigan. It was in 1891 that Dr. Brown came to North Adams and established himself in practice. Following general lines for a number of years, he later devoted his attention principally to general surgery, and has now for eight years confined his efforts to this branch of the healing art and his important office practice.
Dr. Brown is also a leading figure in civic affairs, having been a member of the North Adams School Board for twenty years. He resigned from the responsibilities of this position in 1920, as the exaction of his practice permitted him scant leisure for outside work. During the World War he served as chairman of the Medical Advisory Board of District No. 1, of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Fraternally he is affiliated with several bodies of the Masonic order, including Lafayette Lodge, Free and Accepted Mason; Composite Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; St Paul Commandery, Knights Templar; Melha Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, of Springfield; the Independent Order of Odd Fellows; the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He is a member of the American Medical Association, a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, a member of the Massachusetts State Medical Society, medical surgical staff, North Adams Hospital, also attending surgeon, the Medical Society of North Berkshire, ex-president of the District Medical Society, a member of the Kiwanis Club, of which he is vice-president, and the Berkshire Club. His religious affiliation is with the First Universalist Church, of which he was superintendent of the Sunday School for many years.
Martin M. Brown married, July 3, 1893, Mary Blakeslee, daughter of Lorenzo S. and Lestine (Beemis) Blakeslee. Mr. and Mrs. Brown were the parents of three children, all of whom died in infancy.