Sullivan County New Hampshire genealogy is well represented on AccessGenealogy by the following books, histories, biographies and genealogies. Merrimack and Sullivan Counties, New Hampshire Biographies History of Acworth New Hampshire History of Cornish New Hampshire Croydon New Hampshire Genealogy A history of the town of Sullivan New Hampshire 1777-1917 Biography of George William Dunbar
Collection: History of Sullivan County New Hampshire
Casualties in Croydon New Hampshire In 1770 Caleb, son of Seth Chase, the first settler in town, wandered into the forest, and was lost, and public opinion was divided as to the probable fate of the child; some believed that he was captured and carried away by some straggling band of Indians, while others thought that he met his death at the hands of a villainous white man. Isaac Sanger, another early settler, perished in attempting to cross Croydon Mountain. Alexander Metcalf, Jr., was killed by the falling of a tree. Abijah Hall was drowned at Glidden Bridge in 1812.
Croydon, in Sullivan County, N.H., is situated on the highland between the Connecticut and Merrimack rivers, is bounded on the north by Grantham, east by Springfield and Sunapee, south by Newport, and west by Cornish. Area, twenty-six thousand acres; distance from Concord, the Capital of the State, forty-five miles; from Lebanon, seventeen miles, and from Newport, nearest railroad station, seven miles. Much of its scenery is wild and picturesque. The soil is diversified. That bordering on Sugar River is rich and productive; as we rise gradually back upon the hills it yields excellent grass, wheat and potatoes, while, as we
Town Clerks – The following is a list of town clerks from 1768-1885 inclusive. Moses Whipple, from 1768 to 1772. John Cooper, from 1772 to 1775. Moses Whipple, from 1775 to 1781. From 1781 to 1783, no records. Stephen Powers, from 1783 to 1789. Jesse Green, from 1789 to 1795. Jacob Haven, from 1795 to 1798. Reuben Carroll, from 1798 to 1805. Benjamin Barton, from 1805 to 1806. Reuben Carroll, from 1806 to 1807. Jacob Haven, from 1807 to 1815. Stephen Eastman, from 1815 to 1816. Jacob Haven, from 1816 to 1837. Benjamin Skinner, from 1837 to 1841. Daniel R.
The first known ancestor of the Dunbar family in America was Robert Dunbar, a Scotchman who, circumstances indicate, was one of the Scotch prisoners sent over to the Massachusetts Colony in 1652, by Cromwell after the battles of Dunbar and Worcester. It is certain that this Robert Dunbar was the ancestor of the Dunbars of Abington and Bridgewater, if not of all bearing that name in New England. The family has always shown the characteristics which have so favorably distinguished the Scotch people. They are good, law-abiding citizens, with a frugal thrift and industry, a careful economy, and cautious and
Revolutionary War The sympathies of the first settlers of Croydon were early enlisted in the Revolutionary struggle. Soon after the Battle of Lexington, they sent Eleazer Leland and Abner Brigham to join the Provincial army; enrolled a company of twelve minute-men; raised eight pounds to purchase a town supply of ammunition, and chose Moses Whipple, Stephen Powers, Phineas Sanger, Abner Brigham and Joseph Hall a "committee of safety." In 1777 nine men from Croydon joined a company of militia, commanded by Captain Solomon Chase, of Cornish, and marched to Ticonderoga. Eight men joined the company of Captain Hardy, of Hanover,
Congregationalists – The first church was organized September 9, 1778, and was of the Presbyterian order. The following are the names of its members: Moses Whipple, Stephen Powers, Isaac Sanger, John Cooper, Joseph Hall, Jacob Leland, John Sanger, Catherine Whipple, Rachel Powers, Mary Cooper, Anna Leland, Lydia Hall, Hannah Giles and Lucy Whipple. The first meeting-house was built in 1794, and in 1828 it was taken down and converted into a town hall. The first minister, Rev. Jacob Haven, was settled June 18, 1787, and he continued pastor until 1834, after which he remained senior pastor until the time of
HOTELS – Benjamin Barton and Reuben Carroll at Four Corners, and Nathan Hall, William Allen and David A. Sargent, at the East village, have been hotel-keepers. STORES – The following are among those who have been engaged in trade: William Cheney, Solomon Clement, Henry Breck, Peter Barton, Hiram Smart, at Four Corners; Putnam & Cooper, Edward Hall, Ruel Durkee, Joel Ferry, George Dunbar and Rufus Hall, at East village, and James Breck, Simeon Edson, Stephen Eastman, Henry Hurd, James and Lyman Hall, Paul J. Wheeler, M. L. Barton, D. N. Adams, Daniel R. Hall, and Harriet Pillsbury at the Flat;
The town of Acworth lies in the southern part of the county, and is bounded as follows: North, by Unity; east, by Lempster ; south, by Cheshire County; and west, by Charlestown and Langdon. History of Acworth, Sullivan County, New Hampshire Church History of Acworth, Sullivan County, New Hampshire
The town of Acworth lies in the southern part of the county, and is bounded as follows: North, by Unity; east, by Lempster ; south, by Cheshire County; and west, by Charlestown and Langdon. This town was first granted by Governor Bentin, Wentworth, December 28, 1752, to Colonel Sampson Stoddard, of Chelmsford, Mass., and sixty-nine others, by the name of Burnet, probably in honor of Governor William Burnet. At this time white people could. not live safely in this vicinity at any great distance from the fort at No. 4, (now Charlestown), on account of the Indians; and the town,