Thomas J. Evans, who was born May 17th, 1826, in Brooklyn, Connecticut, is the son of Elijah Evans, and the grandson of Elisha Evans. His active career was begun at the age of seventeen, as a teacher in Killingly, where he continued for ten successive years, his last term at Dayville having closed with an interesting exhibition, the proceeds of which aided greatly in the purchase of a library and other school supplies. For five years he was engaged in the clothing business in the above village, and his capital was afterward invested in a livery stable which he successfully managed for nine years at the same point. In the year 1878 Mr. Evans erected a substantial brick block in Danielsonville, and the following year made that place his residence. His political connections were with the republican party, which he frequently represented in the various county and town offices. He was for sixteen years a member of the board of education, for five years assessor, three years town clerk, and judge of probate from 1872 to 1886. He was also warden of the borough and a member of the court of burgesses. For two years he was president of the Windham County Agricultural Society and four years its treasurer. Mr. Evans was married in 1850 to Miss Eliza Kennedy. His death occurred in 1889.