Dr. Joseph Benton came from Westmoreland, Conn. 1The editor is not aware of a township in Connecticut called Westmoreland., to Fryeburg with his family and practiced medicine there several years. He removed to Denmark previous to 1806, and after continuing in practice there nearly a quarter of a century he removed into Baldwin, near the Hiram line, where he d. Aug. 21, 1838, aged 76 years. He was a very skillful physician and took high rank among the practitioners of his day.
Note: Dr. Benton was once called to New Hampshire during the ravages of a malady of a very fatal nature and was successful in healing those who were seized with the disease. When his services were no longer required he remarked in his characteristic way: ” I have driven death through the Notch of the White Mountains and put up the bars.” His five sons all served in the war of 1812, and two of them, Nathaniel S. and Charles, became, subsequently, members of Congress; the latter was a judge.
Alfred Benton, eldest son of the preceding, was b. in Westmoreland, Conn., Mar. 19, 1788; m. Sally Knapp Symonds, in 1809, and came with his father to Denmark between 1800 and 1806. He was a man of talent, possessed of keen wit; served as enlisting officer in Massachusetts during war of 1812; held several official positions in town. He d. Jan. 1, 1887; was a pensioner during his last years. Children as follows:
- Almeda J. Benton , b. Mar. 21, 1810; m. Herbert Frost.
- Elvira O. Benton , b. May 17, 1812; d. Oct. 5, 1814.
- Albion P. Benton , b. Aug. 28, 1816; m. Sarah Wadsworth, of Hiram, and lived many years in that town on a farm he had cleared. His wife d. in Parsonsfield, Dec. 13, 1875, and he m. Apr. 15, 1877, Mary S. Pillsbury. In 1868 he purchased the old Thomas Edgecomb farm in Parsonsfield, where he built a beautiful dwelling and out-buildings, which are in one of the most imposing locations in the town. He d. Dec. 11, 1886. Ten children.
- Alfred Benton , b. Apr. 25, 1819.
- Jesse S. Benton , b. June 11, 1821.
- Thomas H. Benton , b. Feb. 12, 1824.
- Eliza K. Benton , b. Oct. 31, 1827.
- Mary C. Benton , b. Aug. 27, 1829.
- Nathan C. Benton , b. June 19, 1832.
Footnotes: [ + ]
|1.||↩||The editor is not aware of a township in Connecticut called Westmoreland.|