Dr. Joseph Benton came from Westmoreland, Conn. 1The editor is not aware of a township in Connecticut called Westmoreland., to Fryeburg with his family and practiced medicine there several years. He removed to Denmark previous to 1806, and after continuing in practice there nearly a quarter of a century he removed into Baldwin, near the Hiram line, where he d. Aug. 21, 1838, aged 76 years. He was a very skillful physician and took high rank among the practitioners of his day. Note: Dr. Benton was once called to New Hampshire during the ravages of a malady of a very
Tracing ancestors in Lowell, Massachusetts online and for free has been greatly enhanced by the University of Massachusetts in Lowell which provided digitized version of a large quantity of the Lowell public records. Combined with the cemetery and census records available freely online, you should be able to easily trace your ancestors from the founding of Lowell in 1826 through 1940, the last year of available census records. To add color to the otherwise basic facts of your ancestors existence we provide free access to a wide range of manuscripts on the history of Lowell, it’s manufactures and residents.
Jeremiah Stover. He was born in Penobscot Dec. 5, 1770; came to Blue Hill a young man, built the house referred to before 1800. He married, Dec. 16, 1793, Abigail Devereux. He was a farmer and tanner and currier. The family consisted of nine children, as follows: Lois, Abigail, Jonathan, Hannah, Newton, Jeremiah, Lydia, Cynthia, and Martha.
Capt. Joseph Wood was an early settler in Blue Hill arriving in 1763 with some of his sons: Israel, Joseph and Robert. Across the road from the schoolhouse is the cellar over which it is said the house of which he built stood, when he removed from the island at the Fore Falls.
The Old Schoolhouse, the next building upon the road, stood upon a ledge at the left corner of what is now the shore road to Parker’s Point. It was an old-style square structure with square roof, unpainted and ancient-looking, that had been moved from beyond Bragdon’s brook, its first location, about 1830 or 1831. The author details a long held secret of how the old schoolhouse in Blue Hill Maine caught fire.
Luedders’ historical and pictorial city directory of Angola, Indiana for the year 1923, containing an historical compilation of items of local interest, a complete canvass of names in the city, which includes every member of the family, college students, families on rural lines, directory of officers of county, city, lodges, churches, societies, a directory of streets, and a classified business directory.
John C. Pillsbury, a prominent resident of Danbury, was born here, January 18, 1832, son of John and Nancy (Colby) Pillsbury. The grandfather, Samuel Pillsbury, was one of the early settlers Salisbury and a representative of the famous Pillsbury family who originally came from Rowley, Mass. A blacksmith as well as a farmer, he followed his trade in Salisbury. He lived nearly opposite the home of Daniel Webster, and the two young men grew up together. In his later years he came to Danbury, where he spent his last days, dying at the age of fifty years. He was a
Moody A. Pillsbury, a retired farmer of Webster and an exmember of the New Hampshire legislature, was born in this town, September 20, 1820, son of Moody A. and Abigail Wilkins (Dix) Pillsbury. His grandparents, Daniel and Eunice (Thurlow) Pillsbury, were natives of Newburyport, Mass. Daniel Pillsbury and a brother removed to Boscawen in 1788 and settled on land now traversed by Water Street. He was a carpenter and a millwright, which trades, together with farming, he followed during the active period of his life; and he died December 8, 1844. His wife died October 27, 1847. They were the
Parker Pillsbury, a veteran of the anti-slavery movement, one of the few survivors of the earnest, intrepid band of philanthropists and reformers who for Concord, N.H. Son of Deacon Oliver and Anna (Smith) Pillsbury, and the eldest of a family of eleven children, Mr. Pillsbury was born in Hamilton, Essex County, Mass., September 22, 1809. His father, a native of Newbury, Mass., son of Parker, first, and Sarah (Dickinson) Pillsbury, was of the sixth generation in descent from William Pillsbury, who married Deborah Crosby in Dorchester, Mass., in 1641, and afterward settled in Newbury, the line being continued as follows: