Arivaipa Apache Indians, Arivaipa Indians (Nevome Pima: aarirapa, ‘girls,’ possibly applied to these people on account of some unmanly act). An Apache tribe that formerly made its home in the canyon of Arivaipa Creek, a tributary of the Rio San Pedro, south Arizona, although like the Chiricahua and other Apache of Arizona they raided far southward and were reputed to have laid waste every town in northern Mexico as far as the Gila prior to the Gadsden purchase in 1853, and with having exterminated the Sobaipuri, a Piman tribe, in the latter part of the 18th century. In 1863 a company of California volunteers, aided by some friendly Apache, at Old Camp Grant, on the San Pedro, attacked an Arivaipa rancheria at the head of the canyon, killing 58 of the 70 inhabitants, men, women, and children – the women and children being slain by the friendly Indians, the men by the Californians in revenge for their atrocities. After this loss they sued for peace, and their depredations practically ceased. About 1872 they were removed to San Carlos agency, where, with the Pinaleños, apparently their nearest kindred, they numbered 1,051 in 1874. Of this number, however, the Arivaipa formed a very small part. The remnant of the tribe is now under San Carlos and Ft Apache agencies on the White Mountain Reservation, but its population is not separately enumerated.