MARCELLUS MARCUS PIETRZYCKI, M.D. – Doctor Pietrzycki, the well-known surgeon, was born April 25, 1843, in Horodyszeze, Sambor District, Galicia, Austria, and was educated as an apothecary and chemist. He came to the United States in 1866, before the Austro-Prussian war. He engaged, soon after his arrival in the United States, as assistant and prescription clerk with Doctor Arnold of Hazelton, Pennsylvania, who had a very extensive coal-mining practice, and remained with him for one year studying medicine.
He emigrated to California in the fall of 1867, and settled in San Francisco, receiving the appointment as an apothecary in the German Hospital, where he remained for five years, during part of which time he attended the Pacific (now Cooper) Medical College, from which he graduated in 1872. The next spring he went to Stockton, California, to practice his profession, and in November, 1873, remove to Rio Vista in Solano county, California. We quote from the history of Solano county, California:
“Doctor Pietrzycki came to this county in November, 1873, and settled in Rio Vista, where he now resides and practices medicine. He always took an active part in enterprises pertaining to the welfare of the town. He was twice elected school trustee, and also clerk of the board. He took a very active part, and, in fact was one of the prime movers in establishing the Montezuma telegraph line from Suisun to Rio Vista. He married, June 29, 1876, Miss Mary Warren of San Mateo, daughter of Rev. J.H. Warren, superintendent of the Home Missionary Society of the Congregational church.”
He left California in November of 1879 for Portland, Oregon, and went in April, 1880, to Dayton, Columbia county, Washington Territory, where he now resides, and where he has a very extensive practice, both medical and surgical. He was health officer for the city and county during the fearful smallpox epidemic in 1881, which he succeeded in quickly subduing. He has been president of the Eastern Washington Medical Society, and is at present, and has been for seven years past, president of the Dayton Library Association. He is actively engaged in developing the resources of the country, and owns a couple of thousand acres of land devoted to agriculture and stock-raising.