Edward Hunt’s “Weymouth ways and Weymouth people: Reminiscences” takes the reader back in Weymouth Massachusetts past to the 1830s through the 1880s as he provides glimpses into the people of the community. These reminiscences were mostly printed in the Weymouth Gazette and provide a fair example of early New England village life as it occurred in the mid 1800s. Of specific interest to the genealogist will be the Hunt material scattered throughout, but most specifically 286-295, and of course, those lucky enough to have had somebody “remembered” by Edward.
Publication date: 1932 Publisher: Anker Printing Co. Digitizing sponsor: Boston Public Library Contributor: South Hadley Public Library Repository Archive.org Read Book Download PDF
These families, Reed and Loud, allied by marriage, are still represented in the ancient town of Abington, where for three generations the Reeds have been engaged in the lumber business with other lines connected with it. Reference is made to the late Amos S. Reed, to his son, the late Maj. Edward Payson Reed, and to the present Arthur B. Reed, son of Major Reed, all active business men, prominent and influential citizens of what is now North Abington. Both the Reed and Loud were early Weymouth families, and we take up the records in order. There follows from William Reed, the immigrant ancestor of the North Abington Reed family alluded to, chronologically arranged, the genealogy of the family.
Nicholas Snow, a native of England, came to this country in 1623 in the ship “Ann,” locating in Plymouth, where he had a share in the division of land in 1624. In 1634 he removed to Eastham, where he became a prominent citizen. His home was on the road from Plymouth to Eel river, on the Westerly side. He was admitted a freeman in 1633, and was elected town clerk at the first meeting of the town of Eastham, holding that office sixteen years. He was deputy to the General Court from 1648, three years; selectman from 1663, seven years. He and his son Mark signed the call to Rev. John Mayo to settle as their minister in 1655. He was one of Gov. Thomas Prence’s associates. He married at Plymouth, Constance, daughter of Stephen Hopkins, who came over in the “Mayflower.” Constance herself came in the “Mayflower.” She died in October, 1677. Mr. Snow died Nov. 15, 1676, in Eastham, Mass.
Resident and business directory of Middleboro’ and Lakeville, Massachusetts, for 1899. Containing a complete resident, street and business directory, town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, notable events in American history, etc. Compiled and published by A. E. Foss & Co., Needham, Massachusetts. The following is an example of what you will find within the images of the directory: Sheedy John, laborer, bds. J. G. Norris’, 35 West Sheehan John B., grocery and variety store, 38 West, h. do. Sheehan Lizzie O., bds. T. B. Sheehan’s, 16 East Main Sheehan Lucy G. B., bds. T. B. Sheehan’s, 16 East Main
Fred W. Hollis, a prosperous farmer of the town of Hopewell, Ontario county, New York, who has been prominently identified with the public affairs of the town for a number of years, is of English descent on both sides of the family. (I) Henry Hollis, grandfather of Fred W. Hollis, was a native of England, and came to this country in 1854, for a time making his home in Canada, then removed to Canandaigua, Ontario county, New York, where he served as a teacher of Greek and Latin in the old Canandaigua Academy.
(II) Alfred M. Hollis, son of the preceding, was born in England in 1850, and was a lad of four years when he came to this country with his father. He engaged in the brick tile and coal business in Canaudaigua and has been prominently identified with that field of industry for the past thirty-five years. He married Louisa, daughter of William Smith, who was born in England and came to Bristol, Ontario county, New York, about the year 1850. There he engaged in farming, later removed to Canandaigua, and acquired a large amount of property. Children: Fred W., see
(III) Fred W., son of Alfred M. and Louisa (Smith) Hollis, was born in Canandaigua. Ontario county, New York. December 27, 1871. His education was acquired in the public schools of his native town and in the Canandaigua Academy. Until he was twenty-four years of age he assisted his father in the brick tile and coal business, then purchased a farm near the village in what is now (1910) the town of Hopewell. and is at the present time still occupied with its cultivation. His political affiliations are with the Republican party, and he has served as assessor for the
William Hollis, retired limner; P. O. Oakland; born in Essex Co., Del., Jan. 18, 1800, where he engaged in farming until 25 years of age, when he emigrated West, and located in Pickaway Co., Ohio, and engaged in farming until 1845, when he came to Illinois and located in Edgar Co., where he followed farming for a period of thirty years; in 1875, he purchased his present residence in Oakland, where he has since lived, with the exception of a short time, which he lived upon his farm; he also owns a farm of 160 acres, upon which are good
Henry F. Hollis is a rising young lawyer of Concord and a descendant of some well-known New Hampshire families. He was born in West Concord, August 30, 1869, and is a son of Major Abijah and Harriette V. M. (French) Hollis. The first of the name on record was John Hollis, an early settler in Weymouth, Mass. After him came another John, and then, in succession, four of the name of Thomas, all of them natives of Braintree, Mass. The last named Thomas Hollis, who was the grand father of the subject of our sketch, was a stone contractor of