This page treats the Leach Genealogy of Bridgewater, Massachusetts, starting with Lawrence Leach, the immigrant ancestor, and descending to the James Cushing Leach family of Bridgewater, Mass.
JOHN RICHARDSON BRONSON, M. D., who for over half a century was one of the best known practitioners of medicine in southern Massachusetts and part of Rhode Island, and who for upward of fifty years was a resident of Attleboro, was a native of Connecticut, born in the town of Middlebury, New Haven county, June 5, 1829, son of Garry and Maria (Richardson) Bronson.
The Bronson family was early planted in the New World. John Bronson (early of record as Brownson and Brunson) was early at Hartford. He is believed, though not certainly known, to have been one of the company who came in 1636 with Mr. Hooker, of whose church he was a member. He was a soldier in the Pequot battle of 1637. He is not named among the proprietors of Hartford in the land division of 1639; but is mentioned in the same year in the list of settlers, who by the “towne’s courtesie” had liberty “to fetch woods and keepe swine or cowes on the common.” His house lot was in the “soldiers’ field,” so called, in the north part of the old village of Hartford, on the “Neck Road” (supposed to have been given for service in the Pequot war), where he lived in 1640. He moved, about 1641 to Tunxis (Farmington) He was deputy from Farmington in May, 1651, and at several subsequent sessions, and the “constable of Farmington” in 1652. He was one of the seven pillars at the organization of the Farmington Church in 1652. His name is on the list of freemen of Farmington in 1669. He died Nov. 28, 1680.
At the first enumeration of the inhabitants of eastern Vermont, as made by the authority of New York in 1771, Norwich was found to be the most populous of all the towns of Windsor County, having forty families and 206 inhabitants. Windsor followed with 203, and Hartford was third with 190. The aggregate population of the county (ten towns reported) was then but 1,205, mostly confined to the first and second tiers of towns west of the Connecticut River. Twenty years later, in 1791, Hartland led all the towns of the county with 1,652 inhabitants, Woodstock and Windsor coming next
The meeting in 1811, of Tecumseh, the mighty Shawnee, with Apushamatahah, the intrepid Choctaw. I will here give a true narrative of an incident in the life of the great and noble Choctaw chief, Apushamatahah, as related by Colonel John Pitchlynn, a white man of sterling integrity, and who acted for many years as interpreter to the Choctaws for the United States Government, and who was an eye-witness to the thrilling scene, a similar one, never before nor afterwards befell the lot of a white man to witness, except that of Sam Dale, the great scout of General Andrew Jackson,
United States Soldiers of the Civil War Residing in Michigan, June 1, 1894 [ Names within brackets are reported in letters. ] Eaton County Bellevue Township. – Elias Stewart, Frank F. Hughes, Edwin J. Wood, Samuel Van Orman, John D. Conklin, Martin V. Moon. Mitchell Drollett, Levi Evans, William Fisher, William E. Pixley, William Henry Luscomb, George Carroll, Collins S. Lewis, David Crowell, Aaron Skeggs, Thomas Bailey, Andrew Day, L. G. Showerman, Hulbert Parmer, Fletcher Campbell, Lorenzo D. Fall, William Farlin, Francis Beecraft, William Caton, Servitus Tucker, William Shipp, Theodore Davis. Village of Bellevue. – William H. Latta, Thomas B.
Benjamin Griswold came with his family to the town from the State of New York in 1787, locating on Bristol Flats, upon a part of the late Morgan estate. He remained only a few years, when he removed to Cambridge, Vt. His son Horace was the second child born in the township.
Griswold, Lester, Orwell, was the second son of Griswold the pioneer, and was born on April 18, 1786. He was married to Lucinda Parks, a daughter of Asa Parks, also an early pioneer, and to them were born six children-William C., Lucretia L., Asa Parks, Olivia L., Emmitt Darwin, and Georgianna Augusta. Of these children Emmitt Darwin is one of the substantial men of Orwell, Vt., who believe in doing well whatever is worth doing at all. His farm is among the best, and is stocked with the choicest bloods. His cattle are thoroughbred “Jerseys; ” sheep of the finest
David F. Griswold, city editor of the Racine Journal, has been connected with newspaper publication since beginning his independent career and now ranks among the leaders in that field in the city of Racine. His birth occurred here on the 26th of December, 1854, and he is a son of Nelson A. and Jane (Wilson) Griswold, who removed to this city in 1850. The father was a ship carpenter by trade and was employed in the construction of some of the first vessels built in Racine. He passed away in 1856 and his wife five years ago. David F. Griswold,
Harvey and Frederick Griswold, of Connecticut, were cousins. They emigrated to the West, and settled in (now) Warren County, Mo., at a very early date. Frederick married Rebecca Shobe, and opened the first store in Pinckney. They had no children. Harvey came to Missouri when he was only about sixteen years of age, and walked from St. Louis to Pinckney, carrying his wardrobe and all the property he possessed tied up in a cotton handkerchief. His cousin Frederick at first hired him to clerk in his store, but afterward bought a store at Marthasville, and sent him there to take
BENSON, Julia Ann Jones Todd6, (Amos5, Charles4, Gideon3, Michael2, Christopher1) born Sept. 1, 1816, married Henry John Benson, of Painesville, then Waldoboro, Ohio. He later married Amanda Webb. Children: I. Henry Clay, m. Julia Harriet Stewart; he was a farmer at Upper Alton, Ill. II. Eleanor Todd, m. Hon. James Augustus Bates, of Chippewa Falls, Wis. III. Henrietta Maria, m. Alphonso M. Griswold, of Cincinnati, Ohio. IV. Alvarado Todd, m. Jeannie M. Wright; they lived at St. Louis, Mo. V. George Washington, he lived at St. Louis, Mo. VI. Rose. VII. John; he was a farmer at Rolla, Mo. VIII.